Layman asks 2 basic questions regarding gravity & free will

In summary: Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...Thread re-opened so we can offer some answers to your questions...
layman wannabe
Thank you for your valuable time sorry I don't know appropriate place to get clarification.

1. I've read that if one could know the position, speed etc of every atom or particle in the universe one could predict how everything would turn out. If this is true then is there a scientific argument to be made in favor of free will and what, in general terms would it be?

2. If the speed of an object's motion through space plus the speed of an object's motion through time always equals the speed of light and there is no time at the speed of light why can't we dismiss troublesome gravity and claim success in the unified theory with just the other three basic forces and consider gravity an observational distortion? I am a layman, not a kook. Please be gentle re my ignorance. Physicists rock!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Thread re-opened so we can offer some answers to your questions... :smile:

Your second premise is not right hence your conclusion won't be either. To get a better understanding of Relativity, I would suggest that you read Ben Crowell's excellent free ebook on the subject. His books may be found at:

www.lightandmatter.com

Likes berkeman
layman wannabe said:
Thank you for your valuable time sorry I don't know appropriate place to get clarification.

1. I've read that if one could know the position, speed etc of every atom or particle in the universe one could predict how everything would turn out. If this is true then is there a scientific argument to be made in favor of free will and what, in general terms would it be?

Suppose you solved the problem, say, of exactly what I was going to say next. You've put all the variables into your equations and calculated precisely what I am going to say and when.

So, I say: "let me see". You've predicted all that - your system knew I would ask to see what I was going to say. But, after "let me see", I can read what I'm supposed to say next. And, then, I can use my free will to look you in the eye and say something else entirely!

Dont forget about the unknown unknowns,

PeroK said:
So, I say: "let me see". You've predicted all that - your system knew I would ask to see what I was going to say. But, after "let me see", I can read what I'm supposed to say next. And, then, I can use my free will to look you in the eye and say something else entirely!

I knew you'd say that.

1. Quantum mechanics predicts that the outcome of any measurement is random, not deterministic. Free will isn't defined well enough for science to answer.

2. Motion is defined as a change in position over time. It doesn't make sense to talk about motion in time. You are messing up some concepts here.

layman wannabe said:

2. If the speed of an object's motion through space plus the speed of an object's motion through time always equals the speed of light and there is no time at the speed of light why can't we dismiss troublesome gravity and claim success in the unified theory with just the other three basic forces and consider gravity an observational distortion? I am a layman, not a kook. Please be gentle re my ignorance. Physicists rock!

Free will, tricky will ignore. Your second question seems to be an idea taken from Brian Greene, is that right? If so I think he uses that explanation as a sort of analogy, I wouldn't try to make to many predictions using it.

What is gravity and how does it work?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted towards each other. This force is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space. The force of gravity is determined by the mass and distance between two objects, with larger and closer objects having a stronger gravitational pull.

Is gravity the same everywhere?

Yes, gravity is a universal force that affects all objects with mass in the same way. However, the strength of gravity can vary depending on the mass and distance of the objects involved. For example, the force of gravity on Earth is stronger than the force of gravity on the moon because Earth has a larger mass and is closer to other massive objects like the sun.

What is free will and do we have it?

Free will is the concept that individuals have the ability to make choices and decisions without being influenced by external factors. It is a philosophical and psychological concept that has been debated for centuries. Some argue that we have free will, while others believe that our decisions are predetermined by factors such as genetics and past experiences. The answer is still uncertain, but many scientists believe that a combination of both free will and external influences play a role in decision-making.

Can gravity affect free will?

No, gravity is a physical force that does not have any influence on our thoughts or decision-making processes. However, the environment in which we experience gravity can potentially impact our behavior and actions. For example, astronauts in space may experience a change in their perception of time and orientation due to the lack of gravity, which could potentially affect their decision-making abilities.

Is there a relationship between gravity and free will?

There is no known relationship between gravity and free will. While both concepts are fundamental to our understanding of the world, they operate on different levels and have different effects. Gravity is a physical force that can be measured and predicted, while free will is a complex concept that is still not fully understood by scientists.