Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights LCDM Cosmological Model in Simplified Math (Part 3) - Comments

1. Jul 27, 2015 #1

Jorrie

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2015 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Jorrie, it's a fine piece of work! I have to say it was a real delight to see Part 3 when I got up this morning.

It's nice to see the two main horizons (the cosmic event horizon and the particle horizon) made easily calculable by the reader---and that they make sense as two parts of the same integral. One as the integral from zero to one, and the other as the same integral taken from one to infinity.

Potentially, I think, by giving a newcomer to cosmology a hands-on grasp of how basic features of the universe can be calculated (by anybody!) you make the subject less ad hoc, and above all less frustrating and confusing.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  4. Jul 27, 2015 #3

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

BTW do you plan to ask Greg or someone else on the staff to consolidate the three parts?
    And are you at all tempted to continue and add a part 4 : ^)
    Not sure what that would entail---these three pieces seem to form a fairly complete whole---but you might have ideas for a part 4 (although at the moment I can't think what it might be.)

Maybe there's something I could write myself that could continue, complement, expand somehow on this base. If you have any ideas for that let me know (if you prefer via PM.)

5. Jul 27, 2015 #4
    There is a drop down at the top of each article linking the parts together

6. Jul 27, 2015 #5
    That would be awesome!

7. Jul 27, 2015 #6

Jorrie

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As I said near the end of part 3, I am thinking that the 3 types of recession rates that we have in the LightCone calculator might be a logical follow-on. Plus perhaps a post-script of some sorts, as you have suggested before (and which you indicated that you are willing to write).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted