LCDM Cosmological Model in Simplified Math (Part 3) - Comments

In summary, Jorrie submitted a new PF Insights post with three parts on the LCDM Cosmological Model in Simplified Math. The first part explained the cosmic event horizon and particle horizon, and the second part explained how to calculate recession rates. The third part was about ideas for a follow-on post.
Jorrie
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Jorrie submitted a new PF Insights post

The LCDM Cosmological Model in Simplified Math (Part 3)

LCDM3-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes marcus and Greg Bernhardt
Space news on Phys.org
Jorrie, it's a fine piece of work! I have to say it was a real delight to see Part 3 when I got up this morning.

It's nice to see the two main horizons (the cosmic event horizon and the particle horizon) made easily calculable by the reader---and that they make sense as two parts of the same integral. One as the integral from zero to one, and the other as the same integral taken from one to infinity.

Potentially, I think, by giving a newcomer to cosmology a hands-on grasp of how basic features of the universe can be calculated (by anybody!) you make the subject less ad hoc, and above all less frustrating and confusing.

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
BTW do you plan to ask Greg or someone else on the staff to consolidate the three parts?
And are you at all tempted to continue and add a part 4 : ^)
Not sure what that would entail---these three pieces seem to form a fairly complete whole---but you might have ideas for a part 4 (although at the moment I can't think what it might be.)

Maybe there's something I could write myself that could continue, complement, expand somehow on this base. If you have any ideas for that let me know (if you prefer via PM.)

marcus said:
BTW do you plan to ask Greg or someone else on the staff to consolidate the three parts?
There is a drop down at the top of each article linking the parts together

marcus said:
Maybe there's something I could write myself that could continue, complement, expand somehow on this base.
That would be awesome!

marcus said:
Not sure what that would entail---these three pieces seem to form a fairly complete whole---but you might have ideas for a part 4 (although at the moment I can't think what it might be.
As I said near the end of part 3, I am thinking that the 3 types of recession rates that we have in the LightCone calculator might be a logical follow-on. Plus perhaps a post-script of some sorts, as you have suggested before (and which you indicated that you are willing to write).

1. What is the LCDM cosmological model?

The LCDM cosmological model is a widely accepted theory in modern astrophysics that describes the evolution of the universe. It stands for Lambda-Cold Dark Matter model, where Lambda represents a cosmological constant and Cold Dark Matter refers to a type of matter that does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation.

2. How is the LCDM model simplified in terms of math?

The LCDM model simplifies the complex mathematical equations of general relativity and cosmology by making assumptions such as a homogenous and isotropic universe, and treating dark matter and dark energy as separate components. This allows for a more manageable and simplified mathematical representation of the universe's evolution.

3. What is the significance of the cosmological constant in the LCDM model?

The cosmological constant, represented by the Greek letter Lambda, is a term in Einstein's field equations that describes the energy density of empty space, also known as vacuum energy. In the LCDM model, the cosmological constant is used to explain the observed acceleration of the universe's expansion.

4. How does the LCDM model explain the structure of the universe?

The LCDM model suggests that the universe is made up of about 5% ordinary matter, 27% dark matter, and 68% dark energy. Ordinary matter clumps together due to gravity, forming galaxies and clusters, while dark matter provides the necessary gravitational pull to hold these structures together. Dark energy, on the other hand, is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

5. What evidence supports the LCDM cosmological model?

The LCDM model is supported by various lines of evidence, including observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the large-scale distribution of galaxies, and the accelerating expansion of the universe. It also successfully predicts the observed abundance of light elements, the formation of galaxies and large-scale structures, and the distribution of dark matter in the universe.