Lead-lag test for discrete variable vs continuous variable

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of electrical currents on a test subject and measuring changes in heart readings. The speaker is interested in determining if the electrical currents are causing the fluctuations in heart readings and plans to use the Granger causality test to do so. They also mention the use of a VAR(p) model and the concern of potentially invalid assumptions.
madilyn
Let's say I'm applying electrical currents to a certain part of a human test subject and measuring certain deflections in his heart readings during this period. Before I increase the electrical currents, which could be dangerous, I'm interested to see if the changes in electrical currents are causing ("leading") the fluctuations in heart readings.

Because of the nature of the measuring devices, the heart readings have a discrete sample space while the electrical current readings have a continuous sample space.

My question is: Is there a suitable lead-lag test for these two variables?

My planned mode of attack is to use the Granger causality test. I will take the differences in log currents and differences in log deflections: and because these currents (mA) and deflections are very small, they are valid approximations of the change in current and change in deflection. This also seems to meet the stationarity requirement of the Granger causality test.

FvOmBRb.jpg

Now, I fit a VAR(p) model with suitable number of lags [itex]p[/itex] based on the Bayesian information criterion and toss it into the Granger casuality test. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granger_causality) My only concern is that I'm not applying this test correctly because of certain invalid assumptions. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. What is the purpose of a lead-lag test for discrete vs continuous variables?

The purpose of a lead-lag test is to determine if there is a relationship between two variables, one being discrete and the other continuous. It helps to identify any potential time delays or lags between the two variables.

2. How is a lead-lag test conducted?

A lead-lag test involves plotting the two variables on a graph and visually inspecting the data for any patterns or trends. Statistical methods, such as correlation analysis, can also be used to determine the strength and direction of the relationship between the two variables.

3. What are the assumptions of a lead-lag test?

The main assumption of a lead-lag test is that there is a linear relationship between the two variables. Other assumptions may include the data being normally distributed and having equal variances.

4. When is a lead-lag test useful?

A lead-lag test is useful when studying the relationship between two variables over time. It can be used in various fields such as economics, engineering, and social sciences to understand the dynamics between two variables.

5. What are the limitations of a lead-lag test?

One limitation of a lead-lag test is that it only measures the linear relationship between two variables and may not capture any non-linear relationships. Additionally, the results of the test may be influenced by outliers and the choice of time intervals used in the analysis.