1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Leakage resistance in a capacitor

1. Jan 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to find the relevent equation to to solve the following problem,

RL= leakage resistance measured across the dielectric

A 100pF parallel-plate capacitor has a mica dielectric of relative permittivity [tex]\epsilon[/r]=12 and a resistivity of \rho=10^14\Omega m.

I want to calaculate the leakage resistance of this capacitor.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The previous question wanted to know the area and distance between the plates of the capacitor, i think that this has something to do with the answer to the question,

I have solved this!!

I think i have all the relevent information to have an atempt at the answer but dont know and cant find the equation,

I am not sure if Resistance R = rhol/A has anything to do with it because it states resistivity is \rho = 10^14 \Omega m

this has thrown me??

I cant find anything that points me in the right dierction in my books or course work.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2009 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

You're missing a needed formula here which gives you the capacitance of an ideal parallel plate capacitance. Use that and your resistance formula to find R.

4. Jan 15, 2009 #3
    Hello Defender,

Thanks for the reply, Im still not sure, i dont realy understand what you are on about? Im all mechanical ad never had to do electrical before.

Are you on about C= epsilon r epsilon o * A / d

If so, this is the formula for finding C which is in farads which i have already been given as100pF

5. Jan 15, 2009 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

You can transpose the formula to to obtain an expression to help you calculate resistance from the other formula.

6. Jan 6, 2010 #5
    Dan,

Did you ever get the formula as I am stuck on asimilar question

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?