Learning Curriculum : self-study

In summary: If you hit a topic you're not very happy with, or you want to delve a little deeper, there are plenty of other books and online resources to explore. Have fun!Well, I'll take your word for it on that one! Thanks for the advice!
watters1989
This is for all those that have the will/motivation to learn outside of the classroom. I am a "prospective" student to the field of mathematics/physics/electrical engineering. I am curious as to what the curriculum you guys are taken is like? Like, what subjects are you learning from the day you start your degree to the day you graduate? The books you are assigned/recommended? And ultimately what institution do you go and/or best recommend?

Due to unfornunate circumstances, I'm not currently qualified for the majority of student aid, so I am saving up for college. I plan to double major in physics and mathematics. Possibly get masters in both (baby steps first right ... ) I would simply like to learn these subjects to the best of my ability before stepping into a university.

Physics news on Phys.org
For math, I always recommend Morris Kline. His Mathematics for the Nonmathematician is excellent, as is his Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach. If you're wanting to do Differential Equations, I'd recommend Tenenbaum and Pollard. All those books are quite inexpensive.

For physics, just about any of the general intro books are good. I like Young and Freedman. Once you've done that, try out Marion and Thornton's Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems, as well as Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics.

I've found all these books to be good for self-study.

Have fun!

Ackbeet said:
For math, I always recommend Morris Kline. His Mathematics for the Nonmathematician is excellent, as is his Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach. If you're wanting to do Differential Equations, I'd recommend Tenenbaum and Pollard. All those books are quite inexpensive.

For physics, just about any of the general intro books are good. I like Young and Freedman. Once you've done that, try out Marion and Thornton's Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems, as well as Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics.

I've found all these books to be good for self-study.

Have fun!

Thanks! I greatly appreciate this. I have heard good things about the Young and Freedman texts, so that'll probably be top of the list. @Ackbeet, for my future reference, what are some of the texts related to the more advanced topics from what you listed? Or, better yet, what would you recommend after these texts listed?

Well, let me see. For math, you'll want the following:

Linear Algebra: Nicholson is quite good.

Real Analysis: Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis is the standard, but I also like Kirkwood quite a bit as well.

Complex Analysis: I'd go with Gamelin.

Abstract Algebra: Herstein.

Functional Analysis: Kreyszig.

Topology: Crossley

Numerical Analysis: Burden and Faires.

Summary: once you've done calc, DE's, and linear algebra, the big courses that are really important are Real Analysis, Abstract Algebra, and Topology. I would still hit the others on this list, especially Numerical Analysis, but those three are the ones all math graduate students, at least, are expected to have taken.

For physics, try this:

Quantum Mechanics: I like Griffiths for this, though others may differ.

At this point, you're talking about more specific courses like astrophysics, solid state physics, relativity, etc. I don't have terrific recommendations for those except that the Mermin book is excellent for solid state. Indeed, one of the very best books I've ever read is Mermin's book Boojums All the Way Through. It's about how to write science, and I can't recommend it too highly. This guy can actually write well!

That'll keep you busy for a while.

I can appreciate your motivation to learn outside of the traditional classroom setting. Self-study is a valuable tool for individuals who have the drive and discipline to pursue their interests independently. In terms of the curriculum for fields like mathematics, physics, and electrical engineering, it can vary depending on the institution and program. However, there are some common subjects that are typically covered in these fields, such as calculus, linear algebra, mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

The books that are assigned or recommended also vary, but some popular and well-respected textbooks in these fields include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths, and "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Boas. It's always a good idea to do some research and read reviews before investing in any textbooks.

As for the best institution to go to, this is a difficult question to answer as it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals. Some top universities for these fields include MIT, Caltech, and Harvard, but there are many other excellent institutions as well. It's important to consider factors such as location, research opportunities, and faculty expertise when deciding on a university.

In terms of your plan to double major in physics and mathematics, I would recommend starting with one major and then potentially adding the second one later on. Both of these fields require a lot of time and effort, and it may be overwhelming to try to tackle both at once. It's also important to prioritize your mental and physical well-being while pursuing your education.

In summary, self-study can be a valuable tool for learning, but it's important to also keep in mind the benefits of a traditional university education. It's always a good idea to do thorough research and seek advice from professionals in the field when making decisions about your education. Best of luck in your studies!

What is the purpose of a learning curriculum for self-study?

A learning curriculum for self-study is designed to guide individuals in their independent learning journey. It provides a structured framework for organizing and prioritizing the topics, skills, and resources that need to be covered in order to achieve a specific learning goal.

How do you create a learning curriculum for self-study?

The process of creating a learning curriculum for self-study involves identifying the learning objectives, breaking them down into smaller achievable goals, selecting relevant resources, and establishing a timeline for completion. It is important to regularly review and adjust the curriculum as needed to ensure it aligns with the individual's learning style and pace.

What are the benefits of using a learning curriculum for self-study?

A learning curriculum for self-study allows individuals to take control of their learning and tailor it to their specific needs. It also promotes self-discipline, organization, and critical thinking skills. Additionally, a well-designed curriculum can help individuals stay motivated and focused on their learning goals.

Can a learning curriculum for self-study be used for any subject or topic?

Yes, a learning curriculum for self-study can be used for any subject or topic. It can be tailored to fit different learning styles and preferences, making it suitable for a wide range of subjects and topics. However, it is important to ensure that the curriculum is comprehensive and covers all the necessary material.

How can one measure the effectiveness of a learning curriculum for self-study?

The effectiveness of a learning curriculum for self-study can be measured through self-assessment and reflection. Individuals can track their progress and evaluate their understanding of the material covered. Additionally, seeking feedback from peers or mentors can also provide insights on the effectiveness of the curriculum and areas for improvement.