Learning without being spoon fed? (mod, move please?)

• Thread starter khkwang
  • Start date
In summary, learning without being spoon fed can be difficult. A source of learning can be found by searching for textbooks or websites that focus on quantum mechanics, electrodynamics, introductory particle physics, and chaos theory. Old papers can be obtained through libraries if the person is old enough, but be careful about how to use them because of the unfamiliar language and lack of understanding of the terminology at the time the paper was written.
khkwang
Learning without being spoon fed?

edit: thanks mods

---------------------------------

Is there a source, or does anyone have an idea how I can learn Physics without being spoon fed? I feel like whenever we were taught something new in my college Physics, we weren't given a chance to come to our own conclusions.

It's usually "blank noticed blank and thus deduced that blank and blank..." and then we're given questions on how this new "tool" can be applied. I've noticed that I've already forgotten much of the subject. But I've been taking lab courses and found that I re-learned a lot of material and even understood better because I somewhat figured it out by myself.

I do get why it's taught this way in class, professors have only so much time to teach so many students, but even the textbooks are the same way! Isn't being a physicist about creativity and innovation? At least give us a short moment to guess something.

Anyway back to the question... does anyone know of a source to (re)-learn some intro. physics (mainly quantum mech, electrodynamics, introductory particle physics, chaos theory) in a less spoon fed way? (looking for textbooks, websites, etc.)

And I've always wondered if normal people had access to historical papers? The ones that the textbooks always refer to when describing something's discovery? I'm guessing I'd have to go through my school's library right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

khkwang said:
And I've always wondered if normal people had access to historical papers? The ones that the textbooks always refer to when describing something's discovery? I'm guessing I'd have to go through my school's library right?

It's not too bad to find these online in pdf format... you should have access through your university library's online journal subscriptions (a lot of these journals go way back.. and online subscriptions generally give you access to the full archives).

I'd be careful about using these for learning however. The language adn vocabulary are sometimes strange -- due to the language standards of the era and some issues about the fact that the phenomena are first being observed (and vocabulary isn't therefore established). Also, sometimes the authors sill don't have things down completely themselves (ex. Maxwell originally had 8 equations, not 4).

Because of the laws in some countries people only have free access to historical papers if they are old enough. Sadly the mercenary nature of some people means you can't obtain them either. Thank God for the interweb.

I think you need to start by being spoon fed and then when you are well qualified enough you need to start spoon feeding others new ideas. If you ever lack ideas then physics or any science is probably only for you up to the graduate stage. Which for some is quite enough.

I'm afraid there is no good way to learn anything but your own. Although decent teaching helps. :smile:

Calrid said:
Because of the laws in some countries people only have free access to historical papers if they are old enough.
Huh, care to elaborate on that a bit?

I think he means "if the papers are old enough" not "if the people are old enough."

Ouch, what the hell did I do to misinterpret that in such a way :redface: Nevermind the question then :smile:

khkwang said:
I do get why it's taught this way in class, professors have only so much time to teach so many students, but even the textbooks are the same way! Isn't being a physicist about creativity and innovation? At least give us a short moment to guess something.

The material is presented in a highly refined manner so that you can absorb it and move as quickly as possible to the point where you can do your own research. But really, it's only spoon-feeding if you make it so. You could read a good textbook before coming to class, and when you read a good textbook you can try to derive everything on your own.

Purchase a challenging textbook and work through it. Then, when you have questions, come to PF and post them in the homework section. :smile:

physics girl phd said:
It's not too bad to find these online in pdf format... you should have access through your university library's online journal subscriptions (a lot of these journals go way back.. and online subscriptions generally give you access to the full archives).

I'd be careful about using these for learning however. The language adn vocabulary are sometimes strange -- due to the language standards of the era and some issues about the fact that the phenomena are first being observed (and vocabulary isn't therefore established). Also, sometimes the authors sill don't have things down completely themselves (ex. Maxwell originally had 8 equations, not 4).

Thanks! It's good to know I can find them if I need to. Aside from the unfamiliar vocabulary though, I really wouldn't mind the uncertainties the authors had. It'd be nice to see how they eventually worked things out.

Dembadon said:
Purchase a challenging textbook and work through it. Then, when you have questions, come to PF and post them in the homework section. :smile:

Any suggestions for text in particular?

jtbell said:
I think he means "if the papers are old enough" not "if the people are old enough."

I meant if they are long enough after someone died yes.

1. What is "learning without being spoon fed"?

"Learning without being spoon fed" refers to the process of actively seeking out information and knowledge rather than passively waiting for it to be given to you. It involves taking initiative, being curious, and taking responsibility for one's own learning.

2. Why is learning without being spoon fed important?

Learning without being spoon fed is important because it helps individuals develop critical thinking skills, independence, and self-motivation. It also prepares them for real-life situations where they will need to seek out information and solve problems on their own.

3. How can one learn without being spoon fed?

Learning without being spoon fed can be achieved by actively engaging in the learning process, asking questions, seeking out resources, and taking risks. It also involves being open-minded and willing to learn from mistakes.

4. What are the benefits of learning without being spoon fed?

The benefits of learning without being spoon fed include a deeper understanding and retention of information, increased confidence and self-esteem, and the ability to adapt and learn in different situations. It also fosters a lifelong love for learning.

5. Can anyone learn without being spoon fed?

Yes, anyone can learn without being spoon fed. It may require different strategies and approaches for different individuals, but with determination and the right mindset, anyone can take control of their own learning and succeed.