Left hand and right hand limits

In summary, the left and right hand limits of 1/x^2 -4 at its vertical asymptote are 2 and -2. When looking at the curve just left of the x value of interest, it is heading downwards towards negative infinity. It is important to write the equation as 1/(x^2-4) instead of 1/x^2 -4 to avoid confusion.
grace77
Problem statement
What is the left hand and right hand limit of 1/x^2 -4 at its vertical asymptote?

Revelant equations
None

Attempt at a solution
It's vertical asymptote are 2 and -2.
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1391863762.126560.jpg

I have attached my work . I understand it however at the back of the book it says the left hand limit at 2 is negative infinity. That I don't understand as if you look at the graph I have drawn the left hand limit at 2 is going in a positive direction.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
your graph is correct. but your written answer does not match the graph. The left-hand limit at 2 should be where the curve is going, when x is just left of 2. So when the curve is just before x=2, where is the curve going towards: -infinity or +infinity?

BruceW said:
your graph is correct. but your written answer does not match the graph. The left-hand limit at 2 should be where the curve is going, when x is just left of 2. So when the curve is just before x=2, where is the curve going towards: -infinity or +infinity?
Oh so you look at it before the curve : in this case it is heading downwards therefore it's a negative infinity

yep. you look at the curve just left of the x value you are interested in. p.s. it's better to write the equation as 1/(x^2-4) instead of 1/x^2 -4 since this is confusing without the bracket. You might even lose marks if you hand it in without the bracket. I'm sure I've done that in the past. Although, on paper it is more obvious, since you can put it all under the division sign.

BruceW said:
yep. you look at the curve just left of the x value you are interested in. p.s. it's better to write the equation as 1/(x^2-4) instead of 1/x^2 -4 since this is confusing without the bracket. You might even lose marks if you hand it in without the bracket. I'm sure I've done that in the past. Although, on paper it is more obvious, since you can put it all under the division sign.
Ok thank you Bruce! You are a lifesaver!

haha, glad to help. But I'll get a big ego if you say things like that!

1. What is a left hand limit?

A left hand limit is a value that a function approaches as the independent variable approaches a specific value from the left side. It is denoted as lim f(x) as x approaches a from the negative side.

2. How is a left hand limit different from a right hand limit?

A right hand limit is a value that a function approaches as the independent variable approaches a specific value from the right side. While a left hand limit looks at the behavior of the function approaching from the left side, a right hand limit looks at the behavior of the function approaching from the right side.

3. What is the importance of left and right hand limits?

Left and right hand limits help us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point, even if the function is not defined at that point. They also help us determine if a function is continuous at a given point.

4. How do you calculate a left or right hand limit?

To calculate a left hand limit, evaluate the function as x approaches the specific value from the negative side. To calculate a right hand limit, evaluate the function as x approaches the specific value from the positive side.

5. Can a function have a limit at a point but not be defined at that point?

Yes, a function can have a limit at a point even if it is not defined at that point. This is because the limit looks at the behavior of the function as it approaches the point, not the actual value at the point.