1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Left & Right Limits Of A Function (Finding Values Of A Variable)

1. Sep 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    11rddt5.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Only ones I know that are relevant are the equations shown in the question (for the left and right limits).

3. The attempt at a solution
    The difficulty that I am having right not is comprehending what is really being asked from the question. From what I understand, then question is asking the "m" values from the left and right limits at the top, and the value for "m" when those limits are the same. However, how would I go about finding the value of "m" if I have no x or y co-ordinates given?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\,1}(8x^3-2m)\ ?[/itex]

4. Sep 9, 2012 #3
    That is not given (everything above that I posted is the only thing given). Or are you suggesting that I should calculate that to solve this problem. That expression just defines the limit from the left side. I am unsure on how to calculate that.

5. Sep 9, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you mean, it's not given?

I'm asking you to evaluate the limit, [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\,1}(8x^3-2m)\,,[/itex] if you can. If you can't, I don't how you can do this problem at all.

6. Sep 9, 2012 #5

I don't see how I can evaluate that limit... I could isolate "m" though by temporarily assigning "f(x)" as "y". Then I could isolate "m" in terms of "y" => "m(y)".

7. Sep 10, 2012 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Sammy is not asking you to solve for m (i.e., isolate me) - just evaluate the limit, which by the way should be
    $$\lim_{x \to -1^{-}}(8x^3 - 2m) $$

Your answer should be in terms of m.

8. Sep 10, 2012 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\,1}(8x^3-2m) = 8(1)^3-2m=8-2m[/itex]

That's all there is to it !

9. Sep 10, 2012 #8
    I can't believe how easy this question actually was... I was making it too complex due to the fact that I wasn't comprehending this question very well. A sincere thank you to Mark and Sammy for their assistance. I really appreciate it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  10. Sep 10, 2012 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, what are you results?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook