Legendre Polynomial and Rodrigues' Formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of an equation for the odd terms in the Legendre polynomial, using the Rodrigues' formula. The general formula for the integral is given, and the proof for the odd case is referenced in a book by Bell. It is mentioned that the formula can also be derived using the generating function.
kiwakwok
I am reading Jackson's electrodynamics book. When I went through the Legendre polynomial, I have a question.

In the book, it stated that from the Rodrigues' formula we have
Consider only the odd terms
[itex]\int_0^1dx\;P_l(x)=\left(-\frac{1}{2}\right)^{\frac{l-1}{2}}\frac{(l-2)!}{2\left(\frac{l+1}{2}\right)!}[/itex]​
How to obtain this equation and how can I obtain the equation for even terms?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The general formula (irrespective of l even or odd) is

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Evaluate+integral+from+0+to+1+LegendreP[n,z]+dz

or set [itex] \sigma=0[/itex] in the formula (807) 7.126.1 in Gradshteyn-Ryzhik.

The whole proof for l=odd is in Bell, W.W."Special Functions for Scientists and Engineers", (VanNostrand, 1967) as Example 2 on Page 86.

You can make the proof by yourself with help of the fully solved case l=odd by making the necessary changes in the proof already given.

The formula is more easily derived using the generating function.
The integral equals 1 for l=0, and is zero for all higher even l.

1. What are Legendre polynomials?

Legendre polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that are used to solve differential equations and represent functions in mathematical analysis. They are named after the French mathematician, Adrien-Marie Legendre, who first introduced them in the late 18th century.

2. What is the formula for Legendre polynomials?

The formula for Legendre polynomials is given by Rodrigues' formula, which states that Pn(x) = (1/2nn!) dn/dxn[(x2-1)n], where Pn(x) represents the nth Legendre polynomial and dn/dxn is the nth derivative of the expression (x2-1)n.

3. What is the significance of Legendre polynomials?

Legendre polynomials have many practical applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are commonly used to solve problems involving heat transfer, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. They are also used in the field of image processing to remove noise from images and enhance image quality.

4. How are Legendre polynomials related to other types of polynomials?

Legendre polynomials are a special case of more general orthogonal polynomials known as Jacobi polynomials. They are also closely related to Chebyshev polynomials and Gegenbauer polynomials. Legendre polynomials can be expressed as a linear combination of these other polynomials, and they share similar properties such as orthogonality and recursion relations.

5. Can Legendre polynomials be used to solve any type of differential equation?

No, Legendre polynomials are specifically designed to solve second-order linear homogeneous differential equations that have a special form. They are not suitable for solving all types of differential equations, but they are particularly useful for solving problems in physics and engineering that involve spherical symmetry.