Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonality of Legendre Polynomials from Jackson

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    Hello all!

I am trying to work through and understand the derivation of the Legendre Polynomials from Jackson's Classical electrodynamics. I have reached a part that I cannot get through however. Jackson starts with the following orthogonality statement and jumps (as it seems) in his proof:

Equation 3.17 states:

[itex]\int P_{l'}[\frac{d}{dx} ([1-x^{2}]\frac{dP_{l}}{dx})+l(l+1)P_{l}(x)]dx=0[/itex]

He mentions integration by parts on the "first term" but I don't see how he gets to

Equation 3.18:

[itex]\int [(x^{2}-1)\frac{dP_{l}}{dx} \frac{dP_{l'}}{dx} +l(l+1)(P_{l'}(x)P_{l}(x))]dx=0[/itex]

I don't see this. Could someone please explain or give a hint to the intermediate step here? I'm afraid I just do not see it. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2011 #2

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You understand integration by parts, yes? To wit,

[tex] \int udv = uv-\int vdu [/tex]

So by the chain rule we can also say

[tex] \int u \frac{dv}{dx}dx = uv-\int v \frac{du}{dx}dx [/tex]

So it is easy to see that [itex]u=P_{\ell'}[/itex] and [itex]v=\left[ \left(1-x^2\right)\frac{dP_\ell}{dx}\right][/itex]. In this manner we arrive at

[tex] \int_{-1}^1 P_{\ell'} \frac{d}{dx} \left[ \left(1-x^2\right)\frac{dP_\ell}{dx}\right] dx = \left. P_{\ell'} \left[ \left(1-x^2\right)\frac{dP_\ell}{dx}\right] \right|^{x=1}_{x=-1} - \int_{-1}^1 \left[ \left(1-x^2\right)\frac{dP_\ell}{dx}\right] \frac{d P_{\ell'}}{dx} dx [/tex]

The first term works out to be zero obviously and thus we say that,

[tex] \int_{-1}^1 P_{\ell'} \frac{d}{dx} \left[ \left(1-x^2\right)\frac{dP_\ell}{dx}\right] dx = \int_{-1}^1 \left[ \left(x^2-1\right)\frac{dP_\ell}{dx}\right] \frac{d P_{\ell'}}{dx} dx [/tex]

4. Oct 4, 2011 #3
    Of course I understand Integration by parts, and in fact I just barely started it myself so this whole conversation is null. Thank you for your time, but I just had an aha! moment :) Sorry about that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook