Lengendre Polynomials of cos(theta)

• Thread starter pcalhoun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
In summary, PCalhoun is having trouble finding the general expression for the Legendre polynomial of cos: P_{lm}(cos(\theta)). He tried substituting for dx with (-sin(\theta)d\theta)^{l+m}, but this didn't seem to give the correct final result. He needs help finding the expression for P_{lm}(cos(\theta)) on a website or from someone who knows how to derive it.
pcalhoun
Hey guys,

I've been working on a quantum related problem in my math physics class and I've run into a snag. When dealing with Legendre Polynomials ( specifically : [tex] P_{lm} (x) [/tex] ), I can find the general expression that can be used to derive the polynomial for any sets of l and m (wolfram math has that explicit equation on their website on this page, eq 65: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LegendrePolynomial.html" .)

However, when trying to find the general expression for the Legendre polynomial of cos: [tex] P_{lm}(cos(\theta)) [/tex], I find nothing. I tried to come up with the expression on my own by substituting for [tex] x = cos(\theta) [/tex] and [tex] dx = -sin(\theta)d\theta [/tex] , but I do not know how to handle the term with the derivative which goes like: [tex] \frac{d^{l+m}}{dx^{l+m}} [/tex].

My first guess was to try and replace the differential [tex] dx^{l+m} [/tex] with [tex] (-sin(\theta)d\theta)^{l+m} [/tex], but this didn't seem to give the correct final result.

If anybody knows of a website where the [tex]P_{lm}(cos(\theta)) [/tex] formula is explicity given, or if someone knows how to actually derive the general form for these polynomials, let me know. I would really appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

PCalhoun

P.S. If more information is needed about the problem, I would be glad to elaborate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
pcalhoun said:
I tried to come up with the expression on my own by substituting for [tex] x = cos(\theta) [/tex] and [tex] dx = -sin(\theta)d\theta [/tex] , but I do not know how to handle the term with the derivative which goes like: [tex] \frac{d^{l+m}}{dx^{l+m}} [/tex].

My first guess was to try and replace the differential [tex] dx^{l+m} [/tex] with [tex] (-sin(\theta)d\theta)^{l+m} [/tex], but this didn't seem to give the correct final result.

Hey pcalhoun! :smile:

(have a theta: θ :wink:)

d/dx = d/dθ dθ/dx = (-1/sinθ)d/dθ

d2/dx2 = (-1/sinθ)d/dθ [(-1/sinθ)d/dθ] = … :smile:

Just use (64) with cos theta=x. Then at the end go back to cos theta.

What are Legendre Polynomials of cos(theta)?

Legendre Polynomials of cos(theta) are a set of mathematical functions used in the field of physics and mathematics to describe the behavior of physical systems. They are named after the French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre and are defined as a series of polynomials in cos(theta).

What is the use of Legendre Polynomials of cos(theta)?

Legendre Polynomials of cos(theta) are commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems related to spherical harmonics, electrostatics, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in statistics and signal processing for data analysis and filtering.

How are Legendre Polynomials of cos(theta) calculated?

Legendre Polynomials of cos(theta) can be calculated using a recursive formula or by using Rodrigues' formula. The recursive formula involves a recurrence relation between successive polynomials, while Rodrigues' formula expresses the polynomials in terms of a differential equation.

What is the relationship between Legendre Polynomials of cos(theta) and the Legendre equation?

The Legendre equation is a second-order linear differential equation that describes the behavior of Legendre Polynomials of cos(theta). The solutions to the Legendre equation are the Legendre Polynomials of cos(theta).

What are some real-world applications of Legendre Polynomials of cos(theta)?

Legendre Polynomials of cos(theta) have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. Some examples include calculating the electric potential in a spherical cavity, approximating functions in data analysis, and solving eigenvalue problems in quantum mechanics.