Derive / verify Legendre P (cos x)

In summary, the conversation revolved around trying to verify the result of the Legendre polynomial P11(cos x) = sin x, as shown in Griffiths Quantum chapter 4 Table 4.2. The speaker attempted to solve the problem several times but kept getting additional trig functions. After receiving a suggestion to treat P as a function of x instead of cos x, the speaker was able to successfully duplicate some of the tabularized results. The speaker also mentioned their goal of teaching themselves quantum mechanics and stopping at the end of chapter 4.
Sparky_
hello,

I am trying (and failing) to verify / derive the result of the Legendre polynomial

P11 (cos x) = sin x

Griffiths Quantum chapter 4 Table 4.2

I figured it would not be too bad. I have attempted this 3 or 4 times trying to be careful.

I keep getting sin(x) times some additional trig functions which even reviewing identities I cannot get them terms to go to 1

P11 (cos x) = (1-cos2x)1/2 d/dx (1/2 d/dx (cos2 -1 )

= (sin x) / 2 d/dx d/dx (-sin2x))
= (-sin x) / 2 d/dx (sin 2x)
=(-sinx)(cos(2x))

= (-sinx) (cos2 - sin2x)

any suggestions / help on where I am missing it, trying to get it equal to sin x

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

It looks to me as if you think ##d\over d(\cos x)## is the same as ##d\over dx##

Suggestion: treat ##P## as a function of ##x## instead of a function of ##\cos x##

Last edited:
Likes DrClaude
Thank you - that was it.

In Griffiths chap 4, the Legendre polynomial equation is introduced with "x" as the variable and I did successfully duplicate a few of the tabularized results - just an exercise in being careful with derivatives. I did read where he states that the solution to one of the angular equation is P(cos Θ) and says the result will be a polynomial in cos not x. It did not register with me.

Forest for the trees, I guess. I was in the mode of solving the derivative like a (blind) calculus problem.

Doing like you pointed out derivative with respect to cos was the issue.

(all of this is a bucket list item of mine to teach myself some quantum mechanics. I plan on stopping at the end of chapter 4: "spin")

Thank you again!

Sparky_

1. What is the purpose of deriving/verifying Legendre P(cos x)?

The purpose of deriving/verifying Legendre P(cos x) is to understand and analyze the behavior of Legendre polynomials, which are a set of orthogonal functions commonly used in mathematical and scientific applications. By verifying the properties of Legendre P(cos x), we can ensure the accuracy and reliability of its results in various calculations and equations.

2. What are Legendre polynomials and how are they related to Legendre P(cos x)?

Legendre polynomials are a set of mathematical functions that are solutions to a specific type of differential equation. They are closely related to Legendre P(cos x), which is a specific form of the Legendre polynomials that is defined as the polynomial expression of the cosine function.

3. How do you derive Legendre P(cos x)?

To derive Legendre P(cos x), we use the generating function method, which involves expanding the expression (1-2xcosθ+x^2)^(-1/2) into a power series. This power series will then give us the coefficients of Legendre P(cos x). We can also use the Rodrigues' formula, which is a recursive formula for calculating Legendre polynomials.

4. What are the properties of Legendre P(cos x)?

Some of the properties of Legendre P(cos x) include orthogonality, where the integral of the product of two Legendre P(cos x) functions over a specific range is equal to 0; recursion, where the polynomial can be calculated using a recursive formula; and symmetry, where the function is symmetric about the y-axis.

5. How is Legendre P(cos x) used in scientific applications?

Legendre P(cos x) is commonly used in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of spherical harmonics, which are used to describe the behavior of waves and fields in spherical coordinates. They are also used in solving differential equations and in statistical analysis, such as in the method of least squares.