Length Contraction of observers approaching an object

In summary, the question involves two momentarily coincident observers approaching a small and distant object, with one measuring the object to be twice as large as the other's measurement. The Lorentz Transforms and length contraction formula are used to find the relative velocity between the two observers. However, an additional concept must be used to solve for the relative velocity, which involves relativistic addition of velocities. The question may be ambiguous and clarification from the professor may be necessary.
ttzhou

Homework Statement

Two momentarily coincident observers approach a small and distant object. One measures the object to be twice as large as the other's measurement. Find their relative velocity.

Homework Equations

Lorentz Transforms

[itex] L/L_0 = \sqrt(1 - \beta^2) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the length contraction formula, but it seems way too easy... I thought length contraction is only perceived in the direction of motion. So if we are approaching the object, how can we see any length contraction between the two reference frames?

It just seems too easy for an assignment question, and my intuition is usually right. If it is, can you explain to me the flaw in my reasoning?

Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
ttzhou said:
[itex] L/L_0 = \sqrt(1 - \beta^2) [/itex]

What do you use this to find?

The assumption I made, which I find very, very sketchy, is that [itex]L/L_0 = 1/2[/itex] (since length contracts in the moving frame), which I then am able to use to solve for [itex]\beta[/itex]

Relativity just isn't my thing... my instructor glazed over it very quickly without any details, but I need a lot of details to get a firm grasp of the topic - hence my difficulty.

ttzhou said:
[itex]L/L_0 = 1/2[/itex]

This is not what "twice as large" in this question means.

There are two observers and one object. The way I interpret the question, the length contraction relation has to be used twice, once between each observer and the object. Then, meaning has to be attached to "twice as large"; then ...

oh ok I see what you mean. Thanks...

Am I still correct in assuming we only need to deal with length here?

Something that still feels unclear to me is the notion of length contraction in direction of motion. If the spaceship is moving toward the object, how would they perceive length contraction?

ttzhou said:
Am I still correct in assuming we only need to deal with length here?

I think you will find that after using length contraction, you will have to use one more concept. This is the "then ..." part of my previous post.
ttzhou said:
Something that still feels unclear to me is the notion of length contraction in direction of motion. If the spaceship is moving toward the object, how would they perceive length contraction?

Yes, you have a point, but suppose the object is partially transparent :biggrin: There are subtleties involved in giving operational definitions of "observe length contraction".

George Jones said:
I think you will find that after using length contraction, you will have to use one more concept. This is the "then ..." part of my previous post.

I am currently staring at [itex] 4(1- \beta_b^2) = (1 - \beta_a^2) [/itex], which I got by dividing the Lorentz factor of each spaceship and setting them equal to 2 (the ratio of the measured lengths)

If this is correct, how can I get relative velocity from this... I suppose this is what you refer to as the additional concept?

ttzhou said:
[itex] 4(1- \beta_b^2) = (1 - \beta_a^2) [/itex]

This looks good.
ttzhou said:
how can I get relative velocity from this... I suppose this is what you refer to as the additional concept?

Yes. If [itex]\beta_a[/itex] and If [itex]\beta_b[/itex] are the two relative velocities between the observers and the object, how do you "add velocities" to find the relative velocity between the two observers?

George, just wanted to this opportunity to thank you for the help - you probably get that a lot but nonetheless, felt I should say it.

On the last topic, I already tried solving it that way, (clearly the speed of the faster ship subtract the speed of the slower ship is the relative speed, so let u = V_b - V_a where V_b is the faster ships speed), but I'm hitting a wall - is it possible to solve for u algebraically? If so, I will try again.

ttzhou said:
George, just wanted to this opportunity to thank you for the help

Thanks, but this might be premature. Maybe I'm leading you down the wrong path.
ttzhou said:
u = V_b - V_a

Have you taken relativistic addition of velocities in your class?

George Jones said:
Thanks, but this might be premature. Maybe I'm leading you down the wrong path.

Have you taken relativistic addition of velocities in your class?

We've only gotten up to the Lorentz Transforms for velocities, but I'd imagine this could be extended.

However, I'm letting V_a and V_b represent the speed of the spaceships relative to a common fixed reference frame, i.e. the frame where the length is "proper". Shouldn't then we just use the same vector addition/subtraction of velocities?

You haven't seen anything like
[tex]\beta = \frac{\beta_b - \beta_a}{1 - \beta_b \beta_a}?[/tex]

George Jones said:
You haven't seen anything like
[tex]\beta = \frac{\beta_b - \beta_a}{1 - \beta_b \beta_a}?[/tex]

I have. This is going to be ugly, isn't it?

ttzhou said:
I have. This is going to be ugly, isn't it?

Very. You can use [itex]4(1- \beta_b^2) = (1 - \beta_a^2)[/itex] to express [itex]\beta_b[/itex] in terms of [itex]\beta_a[/itex], but there still will be a different final answer for each [itex]\beta_a[/itex].

This makes sense physically. No matter what [itex]\beta_a[/itex] is, you can always find a relative velocity between a and b such the "twice as large condition" satisfied.

The question seems pretty ambiguous to me. If this is exactly how it is worded on your assignment, you may want to ask your professor for clarification.

Perhaps you are supposed to assume that the 2 observers measure not the length of the object along their approach vector, but rather the solid angle that the object appears to take up. If light is reflected off the object, toward the observers at the moment they are coincident, each observer will measure a different solid angle since one will be closer to the object than the other when the light arrives at their detector.

gabbagabbahey said:
Perhaps you are supposed to assume that the 2 observers measure not the length of the object along their approach vector, but rather the solid angle that the object appears to take up. If light is reflected off the object, toward the observers at the moment they are coincident, each observer will measure a different solid angle since one will be closer to the object than the other when the light arrives at their detector.

Actually, now that you suggest this, I think it it might be something similar, but a little different. Suppose that the object is continuously emitting light.

"Two momentarily coincident observers" could mean that they each measure an image of the object at the same time, i.e., at the coincidence event.

"small and distant object" probably means that some type of small angle approximation can be used.

Different measured solid angles, could mean something different like different "headlight effects".

George Jones said:
Very. You can use [itex]4(1- \beta_b^2) = (1 - \beta_a^2)[/itex] to express [itex]\beta_b[/itex] in terms of [itex]\beta_a[/itex], but there still will be a different final answer for each [itex]\beta_a[/itex].

This makes sense physically. No matter what [itex]\beta_a[/itex] is, you can always find a relative velocity between a and b such the "twice as large condition" satisfied.

Think I got it; algebra wasn't too bad. Much appreciated!

George Jones said:
Actually, now that you suggest this, I think it it might be something similar, but a little different. Suppose that the object is continuously emitting light.

"Two momentarily coincident observers" could mean that they each measure an image of the object at the same time, i.e., at the coincidence event.

"small and distant object" probably means that some type of small angle approximation can be used.

Different measured solid angles, could mean something different like different "headlight effects".

I agree, this seems like the most reasonable interpretation.

Now, I think this is a question about aberration (sometimes called the "headlight effect"), not about Lorentz contraction. Have you taken aberration?
George Jones said:

gabbagabbahey said:
I agree, this seems like the most reasonable interpretation.

I think that this is a good idea:
gabbagabbahey said:
If this is exactly how it is worded on your assignment, you may want to ask your professor for clarification.

1. What is length contraction?

Length contraction is a phenomenon in physics where the length of an object appears to decrease when observed by an observer who is moving relative to the object. This effect is a consequence of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

2. How does length contraction occur?

Length contraction occurs due to the difference in perception of time between two observers. When an object is moving at high speeds, the time it takes for light to travel from the object to the observer is longer than when the object is at rest. This causes the observer to perceive the object as shorter in length.

3. Does length contraction only occur in objects that are moving at high speeds?

Yes, length contraction is only noticeable when the object is moving at speeds close to the speed of light. At slower speeds, the effect is negligible and difficult to measure.

4. Is length contraction a real physical phenomenon or just an illusion?

Length contraction is a real physical phenomenon that has been confirmed through numerous experiments and is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

5. How does length contraction affect other physical properties of an object?

Length contraction only affects the perceived length of an object and does not have any direct effect on other physical properties such as mass or volume. However, as an object's length appears shorter, its mass and volume may also appear to change due to the relationship between these properties in special relativity.