Length of an infinite square well?

In summary, the conversation discusses a general question regarding a homework problem involving a particle in an infinite square well. The initial wavefunction and probability of finding the particle in the ground state are given and it is observed that increasing the length of the well increases the probability of finding the particle in the lowest energy state. The speaker asks for physical intuition behind this phenomenon.
*melinda*
Actually, this is more of a general question relating to a homework problem I already did. I was given the initial wavefunction of a particle in an infinite square well:

[tex] \Psi(x,0) = Ax[/tex] if [tex](0 \leq x \leq \frac{a}{2})[/tex], and [tex] =A(a-x)[/tex] if [tex](\frac{a}{2} \leq x \leq a) [/tex]

And of course [tex]\Psi(0,0) = \Psi(a,0) = 0[/tex]

I was asked to find [tex]\Psi(x,t)[/tex] , which I did, and I was also asked to find the probability that "a measurement of the energy would yield the value [tex] E_1[/tex]", the ground state energy, which I also did. However, this probability is dependent on the length of the well, given by 'a'.

I was curious about this, and I found that the probability that "a measurement of the energy would yield the value [tex] E_1[/tex]" increases as the value of 'a' increases.

Taking the limit as 'a' approaches infinity gives a probability of finding the energy in the ground state to be approx. 0.986, which means that there is a non-zero probability of finding the particle in another energy level.

OK, as far as I can tell for a given wavefunction, increasing the length of the infinite square well increases the probability of finding the particle in the lowest energy state. Mathematically I understand this, but I am still lacking physical intuition about what is actually happening when the length of the well increases.

So, for a given wavefunction, WHY does increasing the length of the infinite square well increases the probability of finding the particle in the lowest energy state?

Thanks, I hope this question makes sense!
*melinda*

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure? Did you normalize the wavefunction properly?
The probability is a dimensionless number: but a is a length, and it is the only length in the problem here: there is no way to make a dimensionless number that depends on a. So I'd think, without actually calculating anything, that the probability to find E_1 should be independent of a.

1. What is an infinite square well?

An infinite square well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined to a one-dimensional space. It is a potential energy function that has a finite value within a certain region and an infinite value outside that region.

2. How is the length of an infinite square well determined?

The length of an infinite square well is determined by the boundaries of the potential energy function. The particle is confined to this region and cannot exist outside of it. The length is typically denoted by the variable L.

3. What effect does the length of an infinite square well have on a particle?

The length of an infinite square well has a direct effect on the energy levels and wave function of a particle. As the length increases, the energy levels become more closely spaced and the wave function becomes more spread out.

4. Can the length of an infinite square well be changed?

In theory, the length of an infinite square well can be changed by altering the boundaries of the potential energy function. However, in practice, it is a fixed value that is used as a theoretical model to understand the behavior of particles in certain systems.

5. How is the length of an infinite square well related to other physical quantities?

The length of an infinite square well is related to the particle's mass, potential energy, and wavelength. These quantities are used to calculate the energy levels and wave function of the particle within the well.