Length of the curve - parametric

In summary, the conversation is about finding the definite integral formula for the length of a curve in parametric form, given by x = 2*cos^k(t) and y = 2*sin^k(t) for 0 ≤ t ≤ π/2 and k > 0. The attempt at a solution involved using the formula for arc length, ds = √[(dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2], and taking the derivatives with respect to t using the chain rule. However, there was a mistake in the original expression, which was corrected in a later version.
Poetria

Homework Statement

[/B]
Find the definite integral formula for the length of the curve for
$$0 \leq t \leq \frac \pi 2$$

$$x = 2*cos^k(t)$$
$$y = 2*sin^k(t)$$

for general $$k \gt 0$$2. The attempt at a solution

I don't understand why this is wrong:

$$\int_0^\frac \pi 2\ \sqrt{{(2*k*cos(t)*(-sin(t))}^2+{(2*k*sin(t)*cos(t)})^2} dt$$

Not in LaTex - sqrt((2*k*cos(t)*(-sin(t)))^2+(2*k*sin(t)*cos(t))^2)

An arc length, parametric form. I have taken derivatives of course. :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you arrive at that expression? Please show us your attempt, not just the end result!

Likes Poetria
Orodruin said:
How did you arrive at that expression? Please show us your attempt, not just the end result!
Of course, but I am very slow with LaTex. Just a moment.

Poetria said:
Of course, but I am very slow with LaTex. Just a moment.

I took a formula:

$$ds = \sqrt { (\frac {dx} {dt})^2 + ({\frac {dy} {dt}})^2}$$

and put the derivatives with respect to t. I used the chain rule of course.

Last edited:
Poetria said:
I took a formula:

$$ds = \sqrt { \frac {dx} {dt}^2 + {\frac {dy} {dt}}^2}$$

and put the derivatives with respect to t. I used the chain rule of course.
This still does not show your work. If you do this correctly you will not get what you showed in the original post.

Likes Poetria
Orodruin said:
This still does not show your work. If you do this correctly you will not get what you showed in the original post.

Well, I have discovered a mistake (mismatched brackets but it was correct in the version for Wolfram Alpha) but I guess it is not what you mean.

Ah ok I think I got it.

Many thanks. So silly a mistake!

1. What is the concept of "length of the curve - parametric"?

The concept of "length of the curve - parametric" refers to a method of measuring the length of a curve using a parametric equation, which represents the curve as a set of coordinates in terms of a parameter.

2. Why is the parametric method used to calculate the length of a curve?

The parametric method is used because it allows for more complex curves to be measured accurately. Traditional methods, such as using the Pythagorean theorem, are limited to simple curves like straight lines or circles.

3. How is the length of a curve calculated using the parametric method?

The length of a curve is calculated by integrating the distance formula, which calculates the distance between two points on a curve, over the range of the parameter. This results in an equation that can be solved to find the length of the curve.

4. What are the benefits of using the parametric method to calculate the length of a curve?

The parametric method allows for accurate measurement of complex curves, and can also be used to find the length of curves in higher dimensions. It also allows for the calculation of the length of curves that cannot be easily measured using traditional methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using the parametric method for calculating the length of a curve?

One limitation of the parametric method is that it requires a parametric equation to be known for the curve. If this equation is not available, other methods must be used. Additionally, the parametric method can be more time-consuming and complex compared to other methods for simpler curves.