Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Leonard Susskind improvisation on the uncomfortable notion of probability ;)

1. Dec 8, 2009 #1
    neat ;)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2009 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

"Neat" is not the word I would use. Lenny needs to brush up on his Bayesian analysis.

4. Dec 10, 2009 #3
    Is Susskind said these things in a lighthearted amusing chat with colleagues and graduate students over some beer and chips, that's just fine. There are lots of interesting sub-currents in there where the thread of discussion can follow. On the other hand, if he actually made these statements in a lecture hall addressing impressionable undergraduate students anxious to learn some Quantum Mechanics, he is doing disservice to Physics.

5. Dec 10, 2009 #4
    what part of his argument is inaccurate?

6. Dec 10, 2009 #5
    For some reason, his doctoral thesis was much more convoluted and wordy.
    This thread is a premium example of the pretentousness of doctoral theses.

7. Dec 10, 2009 #6
    Didn't Einstein say "God does not throw dice"? Even though he helped found quantum mechanics apparently he did not like the consequences....

8. Dec 11, 2009 #7
    Yeah. ;) As he [Einstein] once wrote: "I find the idea quite intolerable that an electron exposed to radiation should choose of its own free will, not only its moment to jump off, but also its direction. In that case, I would rather be a cobbler, or even an employee in a gaming house, than a physicist". [Fred R. Shapiro, Joseph Epstein (2006). The Yale Book of Quotations. Yale University Press. p. 228. ISBN 0300107986.]

As to the Susskind quote, it was an informal (Q&A) part of a lecture to general public. And I see nothing wrong in it. Probability really does not have a consistent definition, and definitions that we have are in fact somewhat circular.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook