1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Let f1(t)=e^t, f2(t)=te^t, f3(t)=t^2e^t, and let V=Span(f1,f2,f3) in

1. Apr 11, 2012 #1
    Let f1(t)=e^t, f2(t)=te^t, f3(t)=t^2e^t, and let V=Span(f1,f2,f3) in the infinite continuous functions. Let T:V-->V be give by T(f)=f''-2f'+f. Decide whether T is diagonalizable.

We learned a theorem that this will be diagonalizable if and only if the geometric multiplicity of each eigenvalue equals its algebraic multiplicity.

What I am having trouble with is translating this into a way to find geometric and algebraic multiplicity. I'm not entirely sure what to do when I'm not given a matrix, since that's how we did it in class.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: Diagonalization

Try to find the matrix associated to this linear map.

Choose a basis of V, and try to construct the matrix.

4. Apr 11, 2012 #3

So would I choose f1, f2, f3 as a basis for V and then construct a matrix
    [f1 f2 f3]? Something like that?

5. Apr 11, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You need to construct a matrix with respect to the basis [itex](f_1,f_2,f_3)[/itex]. Do you know how to do that?

6. Apr 12, 2012 #5

I know I should know how to do that, but I get tripped up in functions, especially involving e. After looking at it, I can't figure it out.

7. Apr 12, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are given the basis vectors for a space, V, and a linear transformation from V to itself. To find the matrix representation of the linear transformation, apply the transformation to each basis vector, in turn, and write the result as a linear combination of the basis vectors. The coefficients give a column of the matrix.

Here, the given basis is [itex]\{e^t, te^t, t^2e^t\}[/itex] and the linear transformation is T(f)= f''- 2f'+ f. Applying that to, say, [itex]t^2e^t[/itex], gives [itex]2e^t= 2(e^t)+ 0(te^t)+ 0(t^2e^t)[/itex] so that the third column of the matrix is
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}2 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook