Let S={2−(1/n) :n∈N}. Prove that sup S=2.

• Thread starter amanda_ou812
  • Start date
In summary, to prove that sup S = 2, we must show that 2 is an upper bound for S and that it is the least upper bound. To do this, we can use proof by contradiction and show that assuming there exists an upper bound less than 2 leads to a contradiction. Additionally, we can use the fact that for any epsilon > 0, there is an element in S that is greater than b-epsilon, to show that 2 is the least upper bound of S.
amanda_ou812

Homework Statement

Let S={2−(1/n) :n∈N}.Prove that sup S=2.

Homework Equations

I have a hard time proving sups and all the examples that I have do not ask you to prove it to an actual number

I have started something but do not know how to complete it.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let b=sup S. The s<= b for all s in S. So b is an upper bound for S. (Next, I know that I need to prove that b is the least upper bound by proving that something else cannot be the least upper bound. But, how do I get the 2 into the proof?) Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try proof by contradiction. Assume that there exists an upper bound less than 2.

To show that b is the least upper bound, show that: given any epsilon > 0, there is an element s in the sequence S such that b - epsilon < s.

Both of those suggestions assume you have already proved that 2 is an upper bound for the sequence. That is, of course, obvious- for any n> 0, 1/n> 0, -1/n< 0 so 2- 1/n< 2.

1. What is the set S={2−(1/n) :n∈N}?

The set S is a collection of numbers obtained by subtracting 1/n from 2, where n is any natural number. It can be written as {2, 1.5, 1.33, 1.25, ...}.

2. How do you prove that sup S=2?

To prove that sup S=2, we need to show that 2 is an upper bound for the set S and it is the smallest upper bound. This can be done by showing that all elements in S are less than or equal to 2, and there is no smaller number that is also an upper bound for S.

3. Why is 2 the smallest upper bound for S?

2 is the smallest upper bound for S because it is the limit of the sequence {2−(1/n)}. This means that as n approaches infinity, the value of 2−(1/n) approaches 2. And since 2 is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all elements in S, it is the smallest upper bound.

4. Can you provide a visual representation of S={2−(1/n) :n∈N}?

Yes, we can represent the set S as a graph where the x-axis represents the natural numbers and the y-axis represents the values of 2−(1/n). The graph would be a decreasing curve that approaches 2 as n approaches infinity.

5. How is sup S related to the concept of limit in calculus?

The supremum (sup) of a set is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all elements in the set. This is similar to the concept of limit in calculus, where the limit of a function represents the value that a function approaches as the independent variable approaches a certain value. In this case, the limit of the sequence {2−(1/n)} is 2, which is also the supremum of the set S.