Letters of recommendation (for the 100th time)

In summary, the individual is applying for a masters degree in an European university and has a strong academic background, but is concerned about obtaining a good letter of recommendation. They are considering asking either their research supervisor or another teacher, but are unsure if it is necessary to send both letters. They are also worried about the potential impact on their application if they do not receive a positive reference from their supervisor.
r4nd0m
I'm applying for a masters degree on an European university this year. I have an almost perfect GPA of 3.98, I took some pretty advanced classes and have two years of research experience, but the problem is with the letters of recommendation.

They require me to send one letter of recommendation and I guess they would expect it to be from my research supervisor, but I'm afraid I might not get a good one from him (nobody's perfect). Another possibility is to get it from another teacher whom I've known for about a year and I think I could get a very good one from him. The third possibility is to send both (though they require just one).

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you asked either of these people yet?--that's always the first thing to do. Note that normally people don't write you a reference unless they are going to write a good one; they will just suggest you to find someone else to write one for you.

Yeah, I'm going to ask both. But anyway, what if the I don't get it from the supervisor? Will it look suspicious on the application?

Yes.

But what is your alternative?

1. What is the purpose of a letter of recommendation?

A letter of recommendation is a written document that highlights an individual's skills, qualifications, and overall character. It is typically written by someone who has personal or professional experience with the individual and is used to support their application for a job, scholarship, or academic program.

2. Who should I ask to write my letter of recommendation?

You should ask someone who knows you well and can speak positively about your abilities and achievements. This could be a supervisor, professor, mentor, or colleague. It is important to choose someone who can provide specific examples and anecdotes to support their recommendation.

3. How should I approach someone to ask for a letter of recommendation?

When asking someone for a letter of recommendation, it is important to be polite, professional, and respectful of their time. It is best to make the request in person or through a personalized email, and provide them with enough time to write the letter (at least 2-3 weeks). Be sure to also provide them with all the necessary information, such as the purpose of the letter, deadline, and any specific requirements.

4. Can I see the letter of recommendation before it is submitted?

It is not common practice to see the letter of recommendation before it is submitted, as it is meant to be an unbiased and honest evaluation of the individual. However, you can ask the person writing the letter if they would be willing to share a copy with you, and they may choose to do so.

5. Is it okay to ask for multiple letters of recommendation from the same person?

It is generally not recommended to ask for multiple letters of recommendation from the same person, as it can become repetitive and may not add any new information to your application. However, if you have a specific reason for needing more than one letter from the same person, such as applying to different programs, you can discuss this with them and see if they are willing to write multiple letters.