1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Letters of Recommendation - Strictly Academic?

1. Mar 6, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

I got a BA in Physics, and am almost a year out of school. I have noticed whilst perusing graduate school websites that most emphasize that they want letters of recommendation from academic settings.

I landed an internship in R&D after school, and I was wondering how inappropriate it would be to request a letter from a senior scientist that I work with.

I was sort of hoping that the emphasis on "academic" recommendations would be to weed out people's bosses at totally non-physics type work.

What do you think/what have you experienced?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It depends on whether or not this prospective recommender has ever done this before - they are looking for certain things in these letters.

4. Mar 12, 2013 #3
    Hi, and thanks for the reply. The person in question is a former professor (though he has spent most of his time in industry, I believe) so I would not be surprised if he has written them before. I was more concerned that his experience with me a work setting wouldn't be what they were interested in, but perhaps that concern is ill-founded?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook