Levels of Civilization Based on Deuterium

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a hierarchy of civilizations based on deuterium cultivation, similar to the Kardashev Scale. Deuterium is considered a valuable source of energy, but to this day, controlled fusion of deuterium is not possible. The discussion also mentions a new patent for a device that can fuse deuterium and tritium. However, most nuclear fusion reactors use other materials such as helium and regular hydrogen. It is suggested that instead of basing the hierarchy on deuterium cultivation, it may be more practical to measure total electricity generation per person.
hyperiontorus
Summary:: Similar to the Kardashev Scale, create a means for forming a hierarchy of civilization based on deuterium access.

I'm interested in the fusion process using deuterium, and I've noted that it remains (to this day) the greatest source of energy of any reactions. Because of this reason, I want to evaluate how to create a hierarchy of civilizations based on deuterium cultivation. Is it possible to base a hierarchy of civilizations based on accumulation or fusions of cultivated deuterium?

Physics news on Phys.org
hyperiontorus said:
I'm interested in the fusion process using deuterium, and I've noted that it remains (to this day) the greatest source of energy of any reactions. Because of this reason, I want to evaluate how to create a hierarchy of civilizations based on deuterium cultivation. Is it possible to base a hierarchy of civilizations based on accumulation or fusions of cultivated deuterium?
No, it isn´ t.

To this day, we cannot have controlled fusion of deuterium.
If someone did have a "handwave" way of controlled fusion, protium would be much more abundant than deuterium.
It is plausible to have a device that can usably fuse deuterium but not protium. But we do not have such a device this day.

snorkack said:
No, it isn´ t.

To this day, we cannot have controlled fusion of deuterium.
If someone did have a "handwave" way of controlled fusion, protium would be much more abundant than deuterium.
It is plausible to have a device that can usably fuse deuterium but not protium. But we do not have such a device this day.

Interesting. I'm basing my orders of civilization upon deuterium because it provides a middle-ground of fusion between hyrdrogen+1 and helium+2. According to Christopher Barnatt here: https://explainingthefuture.com/helium3.html, in the section topic titled, "Helium-3 and Nuclear Fusion," "In current nuclear fusion reactors, the hydrogen isotopes tritium and deuterium are used as the fuel, with atomic energy released when their nuclei fuse to create helium and a neutron."

Also, this article discusses a new patent for such a "device" that can fuse deuterium and tritium: https://marketmadhouse.com/is-the-us-navy-trying-to-patent-a-fusion-reactor/#:~:text=Theoretically%2C%20the%20device%20could%20achieve%20thermonuclear%20fusion%20by,device%20could%20generate%20one%20trillion%20watts%20of%20power

Last edited:
hyperiontorus said:
In current nuclear fusion reactors, the hydrogen isotopes tritium and deuterium are used as the fuel
That is generally false. Most of them use helium, regular hydrogen and/or deuterium. The reactors focus on studying the plasma, which you can do without tritium. Adding tritium makes the reactor vessel radioactive, so maintenance becomes much more difficult. The studies are done with a potential future D-T fusion reactor in mind, sure. But very few reactors actually use tritium.

He-3 plus deuterium is not aneutronic as the D-D reaction produces neutrons.
hyperiontorus said:
Because of this reason, I want to evaluate how to create a hierarchy of civilizations based on deuterium cultivation. Is it possible to base a hierarchy of civilizations based on accumulation or fusions of cultivated deuterium?
No one stops you from making up categories, just don't expect others to use these categories.

hyperiontorus said:
I want to evaluate how to create a hierarchy of civilizations based on deuterium cultivation.
kg/capita/year?

Deuterium is a thing which actually has a bunch of uses. I think your fiction would need to be based on what those fictional civilisations used the deuterium for. If it's for energy production, why not just go on the amount of energy it is used to generate, rather than the input material?

It's a bit of a specific thing to measure, right? Basically through modern day we cultivate no deuterium for fusion energy. In a hundred years we might have a better method of energy creation than fusion that involves deuterium.

Total electricity generation per person or something like that seems straightforward and more flexible.

1. What is deuterium?

Deuterium is a stable isotope of hydrogen that contains one proton and one neutron in its nucleus, making it twice as heavy as the more common hydrogen isotope.

2. How is deuterium used to measure levels of civilization?

Deuterium is used as a proxy for water consumption, which is a key indicator of a civilization's development. By measuring the deuterium levels in a civilization's water sources, scientists can estimate the amount of water being consumed and therefore infer the level of technological and societal advancement.

3. What are the different levels of civilization based on deuterium?

There are four levels of civilization based on deuterium: Type 0, Type I, Type II, and Type III. Type 0 civilizations are the least advanced, while Type III civilizations are the most advanced. These levels are based on the amount of energy a civilization can harness and utilize.

4. How accurate is the use of deuterium to measure levels of civilization?

The use of deuterium as a proxy for water consumption is still a relatively new concept and is not yet widely accepted by the scientific community. While it can provide some insights into a civilization's development, it is not a perfect measure and should be used in conjunction with other indicators.

5. Is there a correlation between deuterium levels and a civilization's intelligence?

There is no direct correlation between deuterium levels and a civilization's intelligence. Deuterium levels primarily reflect a civilization's energy usage and technological advancements, not its cognitive abilities. However, a more advanced civilization may have developed more sophisticated ways to conserve and utilize water resources, resulting in lower deuterium levels.