1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Levitating wire in magnetic field.

1. Feb 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A copper wire of diameter d carries a current density at the Earth’s equator where the Earth’s magnetic field is horizontal, points north, and has magnitude 5.yz × 10^-5 T . The wire lies in a plane that is parallel to the surface of the Earth and is oriented in the east west direction. The density and resistivity of copper are ρm = 8.9 × 10^3 kg/m3 and ρ = 1.7 × 10^−8 Ω-m, respectively. (x,y and z are given constants).

(a) How large must J be, and which direction must it flow in order to levitate the wire? Use g= 9.81 m/s

.(b) When the wire is floating, how much power will be dissipated per cubic meter due to resistive heating in the wire?

2. Relevant equations
    F = ILB (F = JALB = JVB.)
    F = mg.
    m = density(Volume)
    So, F = density(volume)(g)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    JVB = density(V)(g)
    cancel the V's and solve for J (Positive so it flows in the east direction?)

I think that's the correct way to do (a), please point out if I've made an error. I can't seem to find the relative equation for part (b). Any help would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2013 #2
    Anyone have any clue? I can't see a way to do it without some extra numerical value for the dimensions of the wire.

4. Feb 23, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The specific dimensions should cancel out. Create unknowns for cross-sectional area etc. as necessary and post you working.

5. Feb 24, 2013 #4
    Well, I said that resistance = (resistivity x L) / A. Then JA = I. Power = (JA)^2 x (restivity x L) / A. This simplifies to be P = J^2 x resistivity x V. I don't know the value of V though. I'm not sure what way you had in mind. Any ideas?

6. Feb 24, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are not asked to find P. What does the question ask for?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted