1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration of a wire inside a magnetic field

1. Oct 15, 2013 #1
    A uniform horizontal wire with a linear mass density of 0.520 g/m carries a 2.70 A current. It is placed in a constant magnetic field, with a strength of 4.17×10-3 T, that is horizontal and perpendicular to the wire. As the wire moves upward starting from rest, what is its acceleration? Neglect the magnetic field of the Earth.

F=ma
    F=ILB

From these two equations, I derived an equation a= ILB/m. I have all the variables except L and m which will come with each other once I figure how to incorporate the mass density. So my question is, how do I use the linear mass density in this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

m/L is the mass density.

4. Oct 15, 2013 #3
    ok. So i rearranged the equation to be ma/L=IB. Since the mass density is .520 g/m, I divided IB/.520 and got .02165 m/s^2. But when i plugged it in it was wrong. I converted .520 g/m to .000520 kg/m and solved and still got the wrong answer. What am I doing wrong?

5. Oct 15, 2013 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I get 21.65 N. What is the "correct" answer?

Lay out all of your numbers and calculate again; also what happened to the kg?

6. Oct 15, 2013 #5
    I figured it out. 21.65 m/s^2 was the correct value from the equation but I had to take into account that the wire is still being affect by Earth's gravitational acceleration so i took 21.65-9.81 = 11.84 m/s^2. Thank you for ur assistance!

7. Oct 15, 2013 #6

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought it said " Neglect the magnetic field of the Earth", which is averages 0.5 gauss:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_magnetic_field

But if it is to be included we have 1 T = 10,000 gauss, so the it is 0.05 x 10^-3 T, or about 1% of your given field; and of course the force depends upon the direction of the wire ... so assuming that the fields are anti-parallel (opposite polarities) the reduction is only 0.22 N or so.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted