Levitating Wire in Uniform Magnetic Field: Solving for Magnetic Field Strength

  • Thread starter Thread starter mar7pau
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Current
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
mar7pau
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
1. I have a wire that is stretched so that the current is coming directly at me, out of the page. It is shown as a dot on the screen or page. The wire is in a uniform horizontal magnetic field shown as horizontal lines. The direction of the magnetic field is not shown in the figure. Choose and show the direction by drawing arrowheads on the lines, so that the wire can remain where it is, levitated, without crashing to the ground. The wire is carrying a current of 2.00A and has a linear mass density of 2.50 x 10^-4 kg/m. Find the magnitude of the magnetic field which will keep the wire levitated.


2. I'm not sure what Relevant equations to use

3. I need equations in order to try the attempt at a solution and I'm honestly really confused with this one.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What forces are acting on the wire (there are two of them)? Do you know the magnitude and direction of either of these forces? What must the net force be on the wire for it to levitate in place?
 
I honestly do not even know how to get the magnitude without knowing the magnetic field. This one has me very confused. Please help a little further if possible please?
 
Again, what two forces are acting on the wire (just name the forces to start with)?