1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

L'Hopital's Rule: Advanced Analysis

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    Suppose f is defined in a neighborhood of x, and suppose f '' (x) exists. Show that:

lim [f(x+h)+f(x-h)-2f(x)] / h^2 = f''(x).
    h->0

Show by an example that that the limit may exist even if f '' (x) may not. (hint: use lHopital's Theorem).

Proof:

f '' (x) exists implies f ' (x) exists and is differentiable which implies f(x) exists and is differentiable.

Thus,

f '' (x) =

lim [f ' (x) - f ' (t)] / (x-t) (def of derivative)
    x->t

Doing a substitution h = x - t

lim [f ' (x+h) - f ' (x)] / h (def of derivative)
    h->0

= lim [f(x+h) - f(x) - (f(x) - f(x-h)] / h / h
    h->0

= lim [f(x+h) + f(x-h) - 2f(x)] / h^2 (*)
    h->0

QED

What I'm having trouble with is the example of where the limit exists but f '' (x) does not. Either using the original limit/derivative definition or the end of the proof (*) I get 0/0 or another indeterminate form.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The very simplest function I know that does not have a derivative at one point is |x|, which is not differentiable at x=0. The anti-derivative of that, i.e. f(x) such that f'(x)= |x|, does not have a second derivative at x= 0. Will that work?

4. Oct 26, 2008 #3
    I tried both absolute value of x and square root of x and still get 0/0 or if I apply l'Hopital's Rule I get infinity. Which also means the limit does not exist.

5. Oct 26, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So you have not tried what I suggested? Why not?

6. Oct 26, 2008 #5
    I did.

The problem is if f ' (x) = |x| then f '' (0) does not exist, but neither does:

lim [f (0 + h) + f (0 - h) - 2 f (0)] / h^2, unless I am missing something here???
    h->0

7. Oct 26, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That limit does indeed exist. What is f(x) in this case?

8. Oct 26, 2008 #7
    I see my mistake.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?