Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

L'Hospital's rule and indeterminate forms

1. Jun 11, 2015 #1
    I want to make sure I understand the conditions required for L'Hospital's Rule to work.
    $$\lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}$$
    If ##\lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}## exists.
    Should ##f## and ##g## be differentiable at ##a##? Or just around ##a##?
    Also, would it work if ##g'(a) = 0##?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear what you mean by a function being differentiable "just around a".

For univariate functions, a derivative either exists at a given abscissa or it doesn't. I'm not aware of anything in between.

If g'(a) = 0, then it is possible that the first application of L'Hopital's rule leads to another indeterminate form. You can apply L'Hopital's rule serially until either a limit is reached or it becomes clear that no convergent limit will ever be obtained. Then you have to move on.

4. Jun 12, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By "just around a" I believe that MohamedRady97 means "in some neighborhood of a but not necessarily at x= a".
    For example, f(x)= x if x< 1, f(x)= 2x- 1 if x> 1 is differentiable "around x= 1" but not at 1.

The answer to his question is "yes, that is correct". The definition of "limit" is such that what happens in a neighborhood of a, NOT at x= a itself, is all that is taken into consideration when taking a limit.

5. Jun 13, 2015 #4
    See this. Theorem have special conditions.

6. Jun 13, 2015 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

as suggested above you do not have enough hypotheses to make the theorem true. you also need something like the limits of f and g are both = 0, or both = infinity. look in a book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook