Lie-algebraic elements as derivations.

• Thread starter Kreizhn
  • Start date
Hey,

So I'm trying to figure out how the matrix representatives of Lie-algebras can act as derivations. In particular, let [itex] N \in \mathbb N [/itex] and consider the Lie group of special unitary matrices [itex] \mathfrak{SU}(N)[/itex]. Now we know that the Lie-algebra is the set of skew-Hermitian matrices [itex] \mathfrak{su}(N) [/itex], so let us choose an element [itex] X \in \mathfrak{su}(N) [/itex].

Since we can identify the Lie-algebra with the tangent space at the group identity [itex] T_{\text{id}} \mathfrak{SU}(N) \cong \mathfrak{su}(N) [/itex] we can view X as a tangent vector to identity. Furthermore, given a function [itex] f: \mathfrak{SU}(N) \to \mathbb R [/itex] we know that X acts on f to give a real value; namely, [itex] Xf \in \mathbb R[/itex].

Now let's say we're working in the standard matrix representation of [itex] \mathfrak{su}(N) [/itex], and fix the elements X and f. How can we compute Xf? I'm not certain what to do here and would appreciate any help.

Answers and Replies

Nothing? Okay, let me say something else that will maybe be answerable instead.

Let M be an [itex] n^2 [/itex] dimensional matrix Lie group, and specify a local coordinate system [itex] (x^{ij})_{i,j=1}^n [/itex]. Let I be the identity element, and take [itex] A \in T_I M \cong \text{Lie}(M) [/itex]. If we write

[tex] A = \sum_{i,j} a^{ij} \left.\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{ij}} \right|_I [/tex]

do the [itex] a^{ij} [/itex] correspond to the matrix elements in this representation?