Lie Algebras: [H1, H2] = 0 => h1h2 = h2h1

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving connected Lie groups and Lie algebras. The goal is to show that for subgroups H1 and H2 corresponding to subalgebras h1 and h2, h1h2 = h2h1 for all h1 in H1 and h2 in H2. The conversation explores using the adjoint representation and the adjoint map, C_x(y) = xyx^-1, to prove this statement. The idea is to show that C_h1h2 = C_h2h1, but the conversation struggles to make progress. The idea of using the exponential map is introduced, which states that if h is a Lie subalgebra, there exists a unique connected
Sajet
Hi! I have the following problem:

Let G be a connected Lie Group, [itex]\mathfrak g[/itex] its Lie algebra. Let [itex]\mathfrak h_1, \mathfrak h_2 \subset \mathfrak g[/itex] be subalgebras of [itex]\mathfrak g[/itex] with [itex][\mathfrak h_1, \mathfrak h_2] = 0[/itex], [itex]H_1, H_2[/itex] the subgroups belonging to them. Show: [itex]h_1h_2 = h_2h_1[/itex] for all [itex]h_1 \in H_1, h_2 \in H_2[/itex].

I tried to solve this by using the adjoint represantation and although it looks very promising, I can't really get it to work.

If I define [itex]C_x(y) := xyx^{-1}[/itex] as the conjugation, then what needs to be shown is: [itex]C_{h_1}h_2 = h_2[/itex].

I'm using these symbols: [itex]Ad: G \rightarrow GL(\mathfrak g), Ad(g) := C_{g*e}[/itex] and [itex]ad_X Y = [X, Y] [/itex].

My idea is as follows: [itex][\mathfrak h_1, \mathfrak h_2] = 0[/itex] implies [itex]ad_{h_1}ad_{h_2}=ad_{h_2}ad_{h_1} \Rightarrow Ad_{*e}(h_1)Ad_{*e}(h_2) = Ad_{*e}(h_2)Ad_{*e}(h_1) \Rightarrow (Ad(h_1)Ad(h_2))_{*e} = (Ad(h_2)Ad(h_1))_{*e}[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow (Ad(h_1h_2))_{*e} = (Ad(h_2h_1))_{*e}[/itex]. Since [itex]G[/itex] is connected this implies [itex]Ad(h_1h_2) = Ad(h_2h_1) \Rightarrow C_{h_1h_2*e} = C_{h_2h_1*e} \Rightarrow C_{h_1h_2}= C_{h_2h_1} \Leftrightarrow C_{h_1} = C_{h_2h_1h_2^{-1}}[/itex] but I'm not getting any further from here.

Maybe this is the wrong path altogether but I don't see how else I could use the connectedness of G as well as the information on the Lie bracket to make a statement on the group elements themselves.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you define the Lie subgroup associated the Lie subalgebra h1? I'm going to guess that you want to use the exponential map here.

"If [itex]\mathfrak h \subset \mathfrak g[/itex] is a Lie subalgebra, there exists a unique connected Lie subgroup [itex]H \subset G[/itex] with Lie algebra [itex]\mathfrak h[/itex]."

I'm sure this unique connected subgroup is meant in the assignment.

Sajet said:
"If [itex]\mathfrak h \subset \mathfrak g[/itex] is a Lie subalgebra, there exists a unique connected Lie subgroup [itex]H \subset G[/itex] with Lie algebra [itex]\mathfrak h[/itex]."

I'm sure this unique connected subgroup is meant in the assignment.

I'm sure it is too. Look at how they proved that statement. I'm guessing you can use exp(A)exp(B)=exp(B)exp(A) if [A,B]=0.

Hi! Thank you for your response.

The proof for this theorem uses distributions and leafs. But it is also shown that exp(A)exp(B) = exp(B)exp(A) if [A, B] = 0 at a different point in our script. But are you sure this fact can be used here? Is the exponential map necessarily surjective on a connected Lie group?

I'm a little confused. I tried to look this up and while I found two sources stating

"If G is a Lie group and G0 is the connected component of 1, then G0 is generated by exp(g)."

which would apply to a connected Lie group (right?), I found other sources stating:

"Not even on connected Lie groups is the exponential map necessarily surjective. Example: SL(2,IR)."

And if it's not surjective, how I could I use your idea if [itex]h_1[/itex] or [itex]h_2[/itex] are not included in the image of exp?

edit: Ok, I think I get it now. The first statement is just about a generator of the Lie group. I'll take a closer look at it now.

edit 2: Thank you, I think this works!

Last edited:

1. What is a Lie algebra?

A Lie algebra is a mathematical structure that consists of a vector space equipped with a binary operation called the Lie bracket, which measures the extent to which two elements of the vector space fail to commute. It is named after the Norwegian mathematician Sophus Lie.

2. What does the notation [H1, H2] mean?

The notation [H1, H2] represents the Lie bracket of two elements, H1 and H2, in a Lie algebra. It is defined as the commutator of H1 and H2, given by [H1, H2] = H1H2 - H2H1.

3. What does it mean for [H1, H2] to equal 0?

If [H1, H2] evaluates to 0, it means that the two elements H1 and H2 commute with each other. In other words, their order does not matter when performing the Lie bracket operation.

4. What is the significance of [H1, H2] = 0 in Lie algebras?

The condition [H1, H2] = 0 is known as the Lie algebra's commutative property. It is a fundamental property that allows for the manipulation and simplification of Lie bracket expressions, making it a useful tool for solving problems in this field of mathematics.

5. How does the condition [H1, H2] = 0 relate to h1h2 = h2h1?

The condition [H1, H2] = 0 implies that h1h2 = h2h1, which is known as the commutative property of multiplication. This means that the order of multiplication does not matter for the elements H1 and H2 in the Lie algebra, making it a commutative algebra.