Lie bracket of derivations in space of r-forms

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of rank k in the space of all differential forms on a manifold, as well as the properties of derivation and skew-derivation operators. The claim is made that the commutator of a derivation and a skew-derivation is also a skew-derivation, but this may only hold true for even values of k in derivation and odd values in skew-derivation. The speaker also mentions a conjecture regarding the role of graded algebras in proving this claim.
Blazejr
Hello
In textbook by Kobayashi and Nomizu derivation of rank k in space of all differential forms on a manifold is defined to be operator that is linear, Leibnitz and maps r-forms into r+k-forms. By Leinbitz I mean, of course: [itex]D(\omega \wedge \eta)=(D \omega) \wedge \eta + \omega \wedge (D \eta)[/itex]. Skew-derivation is defined similarly, but rather than Leibnitz property it satisfies: [itex]D(\omega \wedge \eta)=(D \omega) \wedge \eta + (-1)^r \omega \wedge (D \eta)[/itex], where [itex]\omega[/itex] is r-form.
Then claim is made that if [itex]D[/itex] is derivation of rank k and [itex]D'[/itex] is skew-derivation of rank k' then [itex][D,D'][/itex] is skew-derivation of rank k+k'. However, formula which I'm getting (just by using the properties given) is:
[tex][D,D'] ( \omega \wedge \eta )= \left\{ ( [D,D'] \omega) \wedge \eta + (-1)^r \omega \wedge ([D,D'] \eta) \right\} +(-1)^r (1-(-1)^k) (D \omega) \wedge (D' \eta)[/tex]
Term outside of curly brackets vanishes only for k even, so as far as I understand, claim given by K&N holds only then. If anyone has an idea what could have gone wrong (or is it possible that there is an error in K&N), please help. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem led me to following conjecture: There is nothing wrong with my calculations, theorem in K&N is true, but the fact they omitted is that for derivations in differential forms spaces k is always even for Leibnitz derivations (example: Lie derivative) and odd for skew derivations (exterior derivative, interior product). That would solve problem above and nearly identical problem I had with anticommutator of two skew-derivations.

That conjecture is however based on the fact that I know no counterexamples (but I am not an expert) and it just fits. I have no idea how one could approach proving such thing. Maybe some deeper knowledge about graded algebras is needed?

1. What is the Lie bracket of derivations in the space of r-forms?

The Lie bracket of derivations in the space of r-forms is a mathematical operation that combines two derivations in the space of r-forms to create a new derivation. It measures the extent to which two derivations do not commute with each other.

2. How is the Lie bracket of derivations in the space of r-forms calculated?

The Lie bracket of derivations in the space of r-forms is calculated using the commutator bracket, which is a mathematical operation that measures the difference between two operators. In this case, the operators are derivations acting on r-forms.

3. What is the significance of the Lie bracket of derivations in the space of r-forms in mathematics?

The Lie bracket of derivations in the space of r-forms is an important concept in mathematics, particularly in differential geometry and algebraic topology. It is used to study the structure of manifolds and to understand the properties of vector fields and differential forms.

4. Can the Lie bracket of derivations in the space of r-forms be extended to other mathematical structures?

Yes, the concept of the Lie bracket of derivations can be extended to other mathematical structures, such as Lie algebras and Lie groups. In these cases, the operators may act on different objects, but the fundamental idea of measuring the non-commutativity between them remains the same.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Lie bracket of derivations in the space of r-forms?

Yes, the Lie bracket of derivations has practical applications in physics, specifically in the study of gauge theories and symmetries. It is also used in engineering, particularly in control systems and robotics, to model the behavior of systems with changing variables.