Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lie bracket of derivations in space of r-forms

1. Sep 3, 2014 #1
    Hello
    In textbook by Kobayashi and Nomizu derivation of rank k in space of all differential forms on a manifold is defined to be operator that is linear, Leibnitz and maps r-forms into r+k-forms. By Leinbitz I mean, of course: [itex]D(\omega \wedge \eta)=(D \omega) \wedge \eta + \omega \wedge (D \eta)[/itex]. Skew-derivation is defined similarly, but rather than Leibnitz property it satisfies: [itex]D(\omega \wedge \eta)=(D \omega) \wedge \eta + (-1)^r \omega \wedge (D \eta)[/itex], where [itex]\omega[/itex] is r-form.
    Then claim is made that if [itex]D[/itex] is derivation of rank k and [itex]D'[/itex] is skew-derivation of rank k' then [itex][D,D'][/itex] is skew-derivation of rank k+k'. However, formula which I'm getting (just by using the properties given) is:
    [tex][D,D'] ( \omega \wedge \eta )= \left\{ ( [D,D'] \omega) \wedge \eta + (-1)^r \omega \wedge ([D,D'] \eta) \right\} +(-1)^r (1-(-1)^k) (D \omega) \wedge (D' \eta)[/tex]
    Term outside of curly brackets vanishes only for k even, so as far as I understand, claim given by K&N holds only then. If anyone has an idea what could have gone wrong (or is it possible that there is an error in K&N), please help. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2014 #2
  4. Sep 4, 2014 #3
    This problem led me to following conjecture: There is nothing wrong with my calculations, theorem in K&N is true, but the fact they omitted is that for derivations in differential forms spaces k is always even for Leibnitz derivations (example: Lie derivative) and odd for skew derivations (exterior derivative, interior product). That would solve problem above and nearly identical problem I had with anticommutator of two skew-derivations.

That conjecture is however based on the fact that I know no counterexamples (but I am not an expert) and it just fits. I have no idea how one could approach proving such thing. Maybe some deeper knowledge about graded algebras is needed?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook