Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lie derivative of tensor field with respect to Lie bracket

1. Sep 14, 2015 #1
    I'm trying to show that the lie derivative of a tensor field ##t## along a lie bracket ##[X,Y]## is given by [tex]\mathcal{L}_{[X,Y]}t=\mathcal{L}_{X}\mathcal{L}_{Y}t-\mathcal{L}_{Y}\mathcal{L}_{X}t[/tex]

but I'm not having much luck so far. I've tried expanding ##t## on a coordinate basis, such that ##t=t^{\mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n}}_{\;\;\;\;\nu_{1}\cdots\nu_{m}}\partial_{\mu_{1}}\otimes\cdots\otimes\partial_{\mu_{m}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{1}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{m}}## and then using the properties [tex]\mathcal{L}_{X}t^{\mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n}}_{\;\;\;\;\nu_{1}\cdots\nu_{m}}=X\left[t^{\mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n}}_{\;\;\;\;\nu_{1}\cdots\nu_{m}}\right][/tex] and [tex]\mathcal{L}_{X}\left(\partial_{\mu_{i}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{j}}\right)=\left(\mathcal{L}_{X}\partial_{\mu_{i}}\right)\otimes dx^{\nu_{j}}+\partial_{\mu_{i}}\otimes \left(\mathcal{L}_{X}dx^{\nu_{j}}\right)[/tex] In doing so, I end up with [tex]\left(\mathcal{L}_{X}\mathcal{L}_{Y}-\mathcal{L}_{Y}\mathcal{L}_{X}\right)t=\mathcal{L}_{X}\mathcal{L}_{Y}t-\mathcal{L}_{Y}\mathcal{L}_{X}t\\=[X,Y]\left(t^{\mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n}}_{\;\;\;\;\nu_{1}\cdots\nu_{m}}\right)\partial_{\mu_{1}}\otimes\cdots\otimes\partial_{\mu_{m}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{1}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{m}}+t^{\mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n}}_{\;\;\;\;\nu_{1}\cdots\nu_{m}}\left(\left(\mathcal{L}_{X}\mathcal{L}_{Y}-\mathcal{L}_{Y}\mathcal{L}_{X}\right)\partial_{\mu_{1}}\right)\otimes\cdots\otimes\partial_{\mu_{m}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{1}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{m}}+\cdots +t^{\mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n}}_{\;\;\;\;\nu_{1}\cdots\nu_{m}}\partial_{\mu_{1}}\otimes\cdots\otimes\left(\left(\mathcal{L}_{X}\mathcal{L}_{Y}-\mathcal{L}_{Y}\mathcal{L}_{X}\right)\partial_{\mu_{m}}\right)\otimes dx^{\nu_{1}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{m}}+t^{\mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n}}_{\;\;\;\;\nu_{1}\cdots\nu_{m}}\partial_{\mu_{1}}\otimes\cdots\otimes\partial_{\mu_{m}}\otimes\left(\left(\mathcal{L}_{X}\mathcal{L}_{Y}-\mathcal{L}_{Y}\mathcal{L}_{X}\right)dx^{\nu_{1}}\right)\otimes dx^{\nu_{m}}+\cdots +t^{\mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n}}_{\;\;\;\;\nu_{1}\cdots\nu_{m}}\partial_{\mu_{1}}\otimes\cdots\otimes\partial_{\mu_{m}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{1}}\otimes\left(\left(\mathcal{L}_{X}\mathcal{L}_{Y}-\mathcal{L}_{Y}\mathcal{L}_{X}\right)dx^{\nu_{m}}\right)\\ =[X,Y]\left(t^{\mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n}}_{\;\;\;\;\nu_{1}\cdots\nu_{m}}\right)\partial_{\mu_{1}}\otimes\cdots\otimes\partial_{\mu_{m}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{1}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{m}}+t^{\mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n}}_{\;\;\;\;\nu_{1}\cdots\nu_{m}}\left(\mathcal{L}_{X}\mathcal{L}_{Y}-\mathcal{L}_{Y}\mathcal{L}_{X}\right)\left(\partial_{\mu_{1}}\otimes\cdots\otimes\partial_{\mu_{m}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{1}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{m}}\right)\\ =\mathcal{L}_{[X,Y]}\left(t^{\mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n}}_{\;\;\;\;\nu_{1}\cdots\nu_{m}}\right)\partial_{\mu_{1}}\otimes\cdots\otimes\partial_{\mu_{m}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{1}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{m}}+t^{\mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n}}_{\;\;\;\;\nu_{1}\cdots\nu_{m}}\left(\mathcal{L}_{X}\mathcal{L}_{Y}-\mathcal{L}_{Y}\mathcal{L}_{X}\right)\left(\partial_{\mu_{1}}\otimes\cdots\otimes\partial_{\mu_{m}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{1}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{m}}\right)[/tex]

Now, if [tex]t^{\mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n}}_{\;\;\;\;\nu_{1}\cdots\nu_{m}}\left(\mathcal{L}_{X}\mathcal{L}_{Y}-\mathcal{L}_{Y}\mathcal{L}_{X}\right)\left(\partial_{\mu_{1}}\otimes\cdots\otimes\partial_{\mu_{m}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{1}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{m}}\right)=t^{\mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n}}_{\;\;\;\;\nu_{1}\cdots\nu_{m}}\mathcal{L}_{[X,Y]}\left(\partial_{\mu_{1}}\otimes\cdots\otimes\partial_{\mu_{m}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{1}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{m}}\right)[/tex] then I arrive at the required result as [tex]\mathcal{L}_{[X,Y]}\left(t^{\mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n}}_{\;\;\;\;\nu_{1}\cdots\nu_{m}}\right)\partial_{\mu_{1}}\otimes\cdots\otimes\partial_{\mu_{m}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{1}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{m}}+t^{\mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n}}_{\;\;\;\;\nu_{1}\cdots\nu_{m}}\left(\mathcal{L}_{X}\mathcal{L}_{Y}-\mathcal{L}_{Y}\mathcal{L}_{X}\right)\left(\partial_{\mu_{1}}\otimes\cdots\otimes\partial_{\mu_{m}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{1}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{m}}\right)\\=\mathcal{L}_{[X,Y]}\left(t^{\mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n}}_{\;\;\;\;\nu_{1}\cdots\nu_{m}}\right)\partial_{\mu_{1}}\otimes\cdots\otimes\partial_{\mu_{m}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{1}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{m}}+t^{\mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n}}_{\;\;\;\;\nu_{1}\cdots\nu_{m}}\mathcal{L}_{[X,Y]}\left(\partial_{\mu_{1}}\otimes\cdots\otimes\partial_{\mu_{m}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{1}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{m}}\right)\\=\mathcal{L}_{[X,Y]}\left(t^{\mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{n}}_{\;\;\;\;\nu_{1}\cdots\nu_{m}}\partial_{\mu_{1}}\otimes\cdots\otimes\partial_{\mu_{m}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{1}}\otimes dx^{\nu_{m}}\right)\\=\mathcal{L}_{[X,Y]}t[/tex]

but if not, then I'm stumped (at the moment) as to what to do next?!

Also, if what I've done is correct it still seems a little sloppy - is there a nicer way to show it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2015 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe you should focus on simpler cases, rather than trying to do a whole arbitrary tensor at once. You ought to be able to show

$$\mathcal{L}_{[X,Y]} f = (\mathcal{L}_X \mathcal{L}_Y - \mathcal{L}_Y \mathcal{L}_X) f$$
    where ##f## is a function. Then show

$$\mathcal{L}_{[X,Y]} Z = (\mathcal{L}_X \mathcal{L}_Y - \mathcal{L}_Y \mathcal{L}_X) Z$$
    where ##Z## is a vector field. Then show

$$\mathcal{L}_{[X,Y]} \alpha = (\mathcal{L}_X \mathcal{L}_Y - \mathcal{L}_Y \mathcal{L}_X) \alpha$$
    where ##\alpha## is a 1-form. You can choose

$$Z = \partial_\mu, \qquad \alpha = d x^\mu$$
    if you like.

Once you can show those, then use

$$\mathcal{L}_X (T \otimes S) = (\mathcal{L}_X T) \otimes S + T \otimes (\mathcal{L}_X S)$$
    to prove the general case by induction.

4. Sep 14, 2015 #3
    OK, good idea. Here it goes...

1. ##\mathcal{L}_{[X,Y]}f=\mathcal{L}_{X}\mathcal{L}_{Y}f-\mathcal{L}_{Y}\mathcal{L}_{X}f##.

To start, note that ##\mathcal{L}_{X}f=X[f]##. Given this, it follows that [tex]\mathcal{L}_{X}\mathcal{L}_{Y}f-\mathcal{L}_{Y}\mathcal{L}_{X}f=\mathcal{L}_{X}Y[f]-\mathcal{L}_{Y}X[f]=X[Y[f]]-Y[X[f]]=[X,Y][f]=\mathcal{L}_{[X,Y]}f[/tex]

2. ##\mathcal{L}_{[X,Y]}Z=\mathcal{L}_{X}\mathcal{L}_{Y}Z-\mathcal{L}_{Y}\mathcal{L}_{X}Z##.

Note that ##\mathcal{L}_{X}Y=[X,Y]##. Then, we have [tex]\mathcal{L}_{X}\mathcal{L}_{Y}Z-\mathcal{L}_{Y}\mathcal{L}_{X}Z = \mathcal{L}_{X}[Y,Z]-\mathcal{L}_{Y}[X,Z] =[X,[Y,Z]]-[Y,[X,Z]]=XYZ-ZYX-YXZ+ZXY=[[X,Y],Z]=\mathcal{L}_{[X,Y]}Z[/tex]

I have to admit, I'm not exactly sure how to proceed with the one-form case?!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  5. Sep 15, 2015 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For that, you might need Cartan's formula:

##\mathcal{L}_X \alpha = d (\iota_X \alpha) + \iota_X (d \alpha)##

6. Sep 15, 2015 #5
    Thanks for the tip.

So, starting with the interior product ##\iota_{X} :\Omega^{r}(M)\rightarrow\Omega^{r-1}(M)## of some ##r##-form ##\omega\in\Omega^{r}(M)## with respect to a vector field ##X\in\mathscr{X}(M)## (where ##\mathscr{X}## is the set of all vector fields on ##M##) $$\iota_{X}\omega(X_{1},\ldots,X_{r-1})\equiv\omega(X,X_{1},\ldots,X_{r-1})$$ For ##X=X^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}## and ##\omega=\frac{1}{r!}\omega_{\mu_{1}\cdots\mu_{r}}dx^{\mu_{1}}\wedge\cdots\wedge dx^{\mu_{r}}##, we have $$\iota_{X}\omega=\frac{1}{(r-1)!}X^{\nu}\omega_{\nu\mu_{2}\cdots\mu_{r}}dx^{\mu_{2}}\wedge\cdots\wedge dx^{\mu_{r}}$$ From this it follows that $$\iota_{[X,Y]}\omega\left(X_{2},\ldots,X_{r}\right)=\frac{1}{(r-1)!}[X,Y]^{\nu}\omega_{\nu\mu_{2}\cdots\mu_{r}}X_{2}^{\mu_{2}}\cdots X_{r}^{\mu_{r}}\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\\ =\frac{1}{(r-1)!}\left(X^{\lambda}\partial_{\lambda}Y^{\nu}-Y^{\lambda}\partial_{\lambda}X^{\nu}\right)\omega_{\nu\mu_{2}\cdots\mu_{r}}X_{2}^{\mu_{2}}\cdots X_{r}^{\mu_{r}}\qquad\qquad\qquad\\=\frac{1}{(r-1)!}\left(X^{\lambda}\partial_{\lambda}Y^{\nu}\right)\omega_{\nu\mu_{2}\cdots\mu_{r}}X_{2}^{\mu_{2}}\cdots X_{r}^{\mu_{r}}-\frac{1}{(r-1)!}\left(Y^{\lambda}\partial_{\lambda}X^{\nu}\right)\omega_{\nu\mu_{2}\cdots\mu_{r}}X_{2}^{\mu_{2}}\cdots X_{r}^{\mu_{r}}\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\\ $$
    Now, I know this should be equal to ##X\left(\iota_{Y}\omega\right)-Y\left(\iota_{X}\omega\right)##, but I'm unsure how to proceed to this result from where I'm up to at the moment?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook