Lie theory - sum of nilpotent ideals is nilpotent?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Silversonic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sum Theory
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Silversonic
Messages
121
Reaction score
1
I can't wrap my head around this proof that the sum of two nilpotent ideals is nilpotent, I get stuck at one stage:

http://imageshack.com/a/img706/5732/5wgq.png


I'm fine with every except showing by induction [itex](I+J)^{N+k} = I^k \cap J + I \cap J^k[/itex]. Here's my attempt;

Base case: k = 1,

[itex](I+J)^{N+1} = [I+J, (I+J)^N] \subseteq [I+J,I \cap J] = [I, I \cap J] + [J, I \cap J] \subseteq I \cap J + I \cap J[/itex]

since [itex][I, I \cap J], [J, I \cap J] \subseteq I \cap J[/itex] as [itex]I \cap J[/itex] is an ideal.

Now inductive step;

[itex](I+J)^{N+k+1} = [I+J, (I+J)^{N+k}] = [I+J, I^k \cap J + I \cap J^k] = [I, I^k \cap J] + [J, I^k \cap J] + [I,I \cap J^k] + [J,I \cap J^k][/itex]

Now it's easy to see

[itex][I, I^k \cap J] \subseteq I^{k+1} \cap J[/itex]

[itex][J, I \cap J^k] \subseteq I \cap J^{k+1}[/itex]

But I have no idea what I can do with the [itex][J, I^k \cap J] + [I,I \cap J^k][/itex] term so that it reduces to the form I want. Any help?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you stuck using this exact argument? Unless I have misunderstood something the proof should go through easily with a slight modification: Essentially after repeatedly multiplying I∩J by I+J we should end up with something like ∑Ij∩Jk-j and choosing k so large that either Ij or Jk-j vanishes for each choice of j should complete the argument. Maybe I have misunderstood something here though and this fails for some reason.
 
jgens said:
Are you stuck using this exact argument? Unless I have misunderstood something the proof should go through easily with a slight modification: Essentially after repeatedly multiplying I∩J by I+J we should end up with something like ∑Ij∩Jk-j and choosing k so large that either Ij or Jk-j vanishes for each choice of j should complete the argument. Maybe I have misunderstood something here though and this fails for some reason.

You're quite right, and that's a different way of looking at it than I did. I think by this method it shows it is zero when [itex]k = 2N[/itex] while the one in my screenshot shows it for lower, at [itex]k = N[/itex]. It doesn't matter though since my goal is to show it's just nilpotent, thanks.