Lifetimes of jet aircrafts and their engines

In summary, the article discusses how often jet engines need to be replaced on planes, and it mentions that engine swaps are quick.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
I found this article today.
Jalopnik - Here's How Often Airlines Replace the Jet Engines on Passenger Planes
The rated lifespan of a plane can vary widely by fuselage size and composition. Short-range narrowbody aircraft, like the Airbus A320, can last almost 50,000 flight cycles. According to Simple Flying, long-range widebody planes have a life that can range between 25,000 and 45,000 cycles. For example, the iconic Boeing 747 has a manufacturer-estimated lifespan of 35,000 flight cycles. The composite-structured Boeing 787 Dreamliner can endure 44,000 flight cycles, 9,000 more than the jumbo jet.
https://jalopnik.com/how-airlines-decide-to-replace-jet-engine-boeing-airbus-1850275010
The plane’s jet engines will not last the aircraft’s entire lifespan and will have to be replaced at some point. Engines are overhauled two or three times before being taken out of service. For narrowbody engines, this usually happens after 12,000 flight cycles. The number of cycles is cut down to 8,000 until the second overhaul and then halved to 4,000 for the third. However, airlines may simply replace the engines instead of spending millions on further rebuilds.

• Informative
Likes mfb, Klystron, berkeman and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
This is an interesting article! I didn't know that the engines of planes have to be replaced often. It's amazing how different types of aircraft have different lifespans, and it's interesting to see the difference in engine cycles for narrowbody and widebody aircraft. Thanks for sharing this article!

It makes sense if you think about it, though. You have a lot of transient loads, both mechanical and thermal, during startup and shutdown alone, let alone the takeoff. Once you get steady state at cruise, they're not nearly as heavily stressed and can run for long stretches of time, which is why most airliner engines are monitored by cycles as well as run time. Accessories on the gearbox can be time limited instead of cycle limited, but even then, most of it is "on condition".

That said, I am somewhat familiar with the smaller engines used on business jets and those both have shorter intervals between overhauls and can undergo more overhauls, iirc. The JT-15D-5s that I worked with were ~1800 flight hours between "hot section" (combustion and power turbine sections) overhauls, which came to about 2 years or so for the planes I worked with. Total overhauls were every other hot section. I don't know what the life limit on the engine was, but it was quite a while, probably comparable to the life limit of the airframe at 36k cycles for the Hawker 400s I worked with.

That said, engine swaps are actually pretty quick once you do a couple of them. We got it down to ~2-3 days for a dual engine swap on the 400s, and that was doing one at a time because we only had one hoist to install/remove engines. Single swaps were basically unheard of outside of a FOD incident.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is the average lifetime of a jet aircraft and its engines?

The average lifetime of a jet aircraft and its engines varies depending on the type of aircraft and its usage. Generally, commercial jet aircrafts have a lifetime of around 20-30 years, while military aircrafts may have a shorter lifetime due to more rigorous usage. The engines of a jet aircraft can last anywhere from 10,000 to 30,000 flight hours.

2. What factors affect the lifetime of a jet aircraft and its engines?

The lifetime of a jet aircraft and its engines can be affected by various factors such as the frequency of flights, the type of terrain it operates on, the maintenance schedule, and the quality of the materials used in its construction. Harsh weather conditions and heavy usage can also contribute to a shorter lifetime.

3. How is the lifetime of a jet aircraft and its engines determined?

The lifetime of a jet aircraft and its engines is determined through rigorous testing and analysis during the design and manufacturing process. This includes stress testing, simulation of various flight conditions, and regular maintenance checks. The manufacturer also provides recommended lifetimes for each component of the aircraft.

4. Can the lifetime of a jet aircraft and its engines be extended?

Yes, the lifetime of a jet aircraft and its engines can be extended through proper maintenance and repairs. Regular inspections and timely replacement of worn out parts can help prolong the lifetime of the aircraft. In some cases, upgrades and modifications can also be made to improve the performance and extend the lifetime of the aircraft.

5. What happens when a jet aircraft reaches the end of its lifetime?

When a jet aircraft reaches the end of its lifetime, it is usually retired from service and replaced with a newer model. The aircraft may be dismantled and its parts recycled or used for spare parts. In some cases, the aircraft may be sold to other airlines or countries with less stringent regulations on aircraft lifetimes.