Light, Wavelength, Space, and the color of Stars

In summary, the conversation discusses three questions about physics and reasoning. The first question is about identifying curves with the biggest relative brightness of orange. The second question is about the reason for stars being called blackbody radiators, and the third question is about the demonstration of an experiment involving high speed electrons and metal targets. The expert summarizer provides a summary for each question, focusing on the main points and eliminating incorrect options through the process of elimination. The overall conclusion is that the answer to the third question is most likely A, as high speed electrons can produce X-rays, which are electromagnetic waves and are transverse in nature.
Qube
Gold Member
Question 1:

http://i.minus.com/iOmQvqhasiXmx.png

My reasoning is curves 3 and 4. These curves have the biggest relative brightness of orange.

Question 2:

Stars are called blackbody radiators because they

a) never appear perfectly black
b) always appear perfectly white
c) reflect most of the light that falls on them
d) absorb most of the light that falls on them

Blackbody radiators completely absorb and reemit all incident energy. From this definition, c and d MUST be incorrect. A is also incorrect. By process of elimination, I arrive at b.

Question 3:

One student heated a metal wire to produce high speed electrons. When the electrons struck a metal target, waves were produced as shown in the diagram below. What does the student's experiment most likely demonstrate?

http://i.minus.com/iplmhuT7lwedU.png

a) changing electric fields can produce electromagnetic waves

b) the direction of transverse waves is always towards the pull of gravity

c) the direction of electromagnetic waves is always towards the pull of gravity

d) high speed electrons produce longitudinal waves upon striking a metal target

I eliminated both B and C because neither transverse nor electromagnetic waves are affected by gravity. That leaves me with A and D. I know A is correct in itself, but I am not sure if it is a correct response to the question and the diagram. I suspect that the answer is A because when high speed electrons strike a metal target they bounce off and produce X-rays, which are EM waves, and EM waves are by definition transverse waves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Qube said:
Question 1:
My reasoning is curves 3 and 4. These curves have the biggest relative brightness of orange.

So what's the question?

Qube said:
Question 2:

Stars are called blackbody radiators because they

a) never appear perfectly black
b) always appear perfectly white
c) reflect most of the light that falls on them
d) absorb most of the light that falls on them

Blackbody radiators completely absorb and reemit all incident energy. From this definition, c and d MUST be incorrect. A is also incorrect. By process of elimination, I arrive at b.

Err, so why does d have to be incorrect? Do you think the sun appears perfectly white?

Qube said:
Question 3:

One student heated a metal wire to produce high speed electrons. When the electrons struck a metal target, waves were produced as shown in the diagram below. What does the student's experiment most likely demonstrate?

http://i.minus.com/iplmhuT7lwedU.png

a) changing electric fields can produce electromagnetic waves

b) the direction of transverse waves is always towards the pull of gravity

c) the direction of electromagnetic waves is always towards the pull of gravity

d) high speed electrons produce longitudinal waves upon striking a metal target

I eliminated both B and C because neither transverse nor electromagnetic waves are affected by gravity. That leaves me with A and D. I know A is correct in itself, but I am not sure if it is a correct response to the question and the diagram. I suspect that the answer is A because when high speed electrons strike a metal target they bounce off and produce X-rays, which are EM waves, and EM waves are by definition transverse waves.

Indeed that would seem to make sense since the wave seems to be moving in air, not in the metal slab. If it were in the metal, it could be a sound wave or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the relationship between light and wavelength?

The wavelength of light is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in a light wave. Light waves with shorter wavelengths have higher energy and frequency, while those with longer wavelengths have lower energy and frequency.

2. How does wavelength affect the color of light?

Wavelength is directly related to the color of light. The visible light spectrum ranges from shorter wavelengths (violet) to longer wavelengths (red). As the wavelength increases, the color of light shifts towards the red end of the spectrum.

3. How is wavelength used to study space?

Wavelength is used in various forms of astronomy, such as spectroscopy, to study distant objects in space. By analyzing the wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed by objects, scientists can determine their composition, temperature, and other physical properties.

4. What is the significance of the color of stars?

The color of a star is determined by its temperature, with hotter stars appearing bluer and cooler stars appearing redder. This color can also provide insight into the star's age and stage of evolution. For example, young stars tend to be blue while older stars are typically red.

5. How does the color of a star change over time?

The color of a star changes over time due to changes in its temperature and stage of evolution. For example, as a star runs out of hydrogen fuel, it will expand and cool, resulting in a redder color. Eventually, the star may become a white dwarf, which emits mostly infrared light and appears reddish in color.