Lill's method for solving polynomial equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the relevance of teaching Lill's method for solving polynomials with real roots in secondary school. The topic is seen as interesting and potentially applicable in teaching trigonometry, but there may be technical issues with accessing the related video.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Summary: Worth teaching in secondary school? - or too bewildering?

The mathologer video made me aware of Lill's method for solving polynomials with real roots. Although I'm not involved in secondary school teaching, I can't help wondering if it is a suitable topic for that level. Perhaps it's relevant as an application of tan(x) in teaching trigonometry.

Likes Tom.G, mfb and PAllen
Science news on Phys.org
It kooks interesting, but I cannot play this video.

For some reason, when I click on the link, the video begins about 23 minutes into it. It doesn't take long to load, but perhaps it's been cached somewhere on my computer.

No problem watching video. Just beautiful, IMO.

1. What is Lill's method for solving polynomial equations?

Lill's method is a mathematical technique for finding the roots of a polynomial equation. It involves using a series of substitutions and algebraic manipulations to simplify the equation and solve for the roots.

2. How does Lill's method differ from other methods for solving polynomial equations?

Lill's method is unique in that it allows for solving higher degree equations by reducing them to simpler forms. Other methods, such as the quadratic formula, are limited to specific types of equations.

3. Can Lill's method be used for any degree of polynomial equation?

Yes, Lill's method can be used for any degree of polynomial equation. However, as the degree increases, the calculations become more complex and time-consuming.

4. Is Lill's method always guaranteed to find all the roots of a polynomial equation?

No, there is no guarantee that Lill's method will find all the roots of a polynomial equation. It may miss some roots or give incorrect solutions in some cases.

5. How can I learn more about Lill's method and its applications?

There are many resources available online and in textbooks that explain Lill's method in detail and provide examples of its applications. You can also consult with a math tutor or professor for additional guidance and practice problems.