1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit at infinity, no vert asymptote, why?

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the vertical asymptote(n) and evaluate the limit as [itex]x \rightarrow n^-, x\rightarrow n^+[/itex], or state Does Not Exist.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{4x^2+2x+10}-4}{x-1}[/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I have taken the limits at [itex]\pm\infty=2,-2[/itex] and understand those are my horizontal asymptotes.

I have also finished the problem and got the correct answer (DNE), but I cannot mathematically understand why it does not have a vertical asymptote, I figured this out by graphing.

Based on similar problems, I (wrongly) assumed setting the denominator equal to 0 gives the Vert Asymptote. This was the case in the 3 problems before this one, but that was after factoring and reducing the equations. After trying to find the limit of this equation as [itex]x\rightarrow1[/itex]...I gave up, and graphed it.

I don't feel this is the correct approach. What is a better approach? Can I find that this problem has no vertical asymptote without graphing?

...After typing this I think my answer lies in the definition of a vertical asymptote, and since the limit of f(x) as x->1 was not [itex]\pm\infty[/itex], then there is no vert. asymptote.

Is that correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, it's not a vertical asymptote because the limit as x->1 is not infinity. To work this out algebraically multiply the numerator and denominator by sqrt(4x^2+2x+10)+4 and factor. It's the usual 'conjugate' thing you should think about when you see a square root.

4. Sep 13, 2011 #3
    Thanks, I always seem to forget the simple things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook