Limit definition of derivative problem

In summary, the conversation discusses using the definition of derivative to find f'(x) for f(x) = x - sqrt(x). The author solves the problem by multiplying by the conjugate and taking the limit as h approaches 0. The author's friend suggests there may be other ways to solve the problem. The author also asks about the result of using the limit definition of derivative for f(x) = sqrt(x) and a = 0. The respondent clarifies that the ratio does not give 0 and mentions general rules for obtaining the derivative of powers. The author then realizes their mistake.
physicsernaw

Homework Statement

Using the definition of derivative find f'(x) for f(x) = x - sqrt(x)

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

lim h --> 0 : ((x + h) - sqrt(x + h) - x + sqrt(x))/h

1 - (sqrt(x + h) - sqrt(x))/h

Multiply by conjugate..

1 - h/(h*(sqrt(x) + sqrt(x+h)))

1 - 1/(sqrt(x+h) + sqrt(x))

lim as h --> 0 makes it: 1 - 1/2sqrt(x)

-------------------------------------------------------
QUESTION:

My question is, is there a way to solve this problem without multiplying by the conjugate? My friend says there's more ways but I don't see how?

Also, how come using the limit definition of derivative with
(f(x) - f(a)) / (x - a) yields zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsernaw said:

Homework Statement

Using the definition of derivative find f'(x) for f(x) = x - sqrt(x)

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

lim h --> 0 : ((x + h) - sqrt(x + h) - x + sqrt(x))/h

1 - (sqrt(x + h) - sqrt(x))/h

Multiply by conjugate..

1 - h/(h*(sqrt(x) + sqrt(x+h)))

1 - 1/(sqrt(x+h) + sqrt(x))

lim as h --> 0 makes it: 1 - 1/2sqrt(x)

-------------------------------------------------------
QUESTION:

My question is, is there a way to solve this problem without multiplying by the conjugate? My friend says there's more ways but I don't see how?

Also, how come using the limit definition of derivative with
(f(x) - f(a)) / (x - a) yields zero?

There are general rules for obtaining the derivative of powers like f(x) = x^k (k = any number, positive or negative).

RE: your second question: the ratio you write does NOT give 0. After all, you just finished finding the result for f(x) = sqrt(x) and a = 0: you did not get zero then, did you?

Ray Vickson said:
There are general rules for obtaining the derivative of powers like f(x) = x^k (k = any number, positive or negative).

RE: your second question: the ratio you write does NOT give 0. After all, you just finished finding the result for f(x) = sqrt(x) and a = 0: you did not get zero then, did you?

I got it, was making a silly error :biggrin:

1. What is the limit definition of a derivative?

The limit definition of a derivative is a mathematical concept used to find the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. It involves taking the limit of the slope of a secant line as the two points on the graph get infinitely close together.

2. How is the limit definition of a derivative calculated?

The limit definition of a derivative is calculated using the following formula: f'(x) = lim(h→0) [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h. This means taking the limit of the difference quotient of the function at a point and a point that is h units away as h approaches 0.

3. What is the importance of the limit definition of a derivative?

The limit definition of a derivative is important because it is the foundation of differential calculus. It allows us to find the slope of a curve at a specific point, which is crucial in many real-world applications such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What are the common applications of the limit definition of a derivative?

The limit definition of a derivative has many applications, including optimization problems, finding maximum and minimum values of a function, and determining the velocity and acceleration of an object at a given time. It is also used in curve sketching and to find tangent lines to a curve.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the limit definition of a derivative?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using the limit definition of a derivative include not understanding the concept of a limit, forgetting to take the limit as h approaches 0, and making calculation errors. It is also important to properly simplify the difference quotient before taking the limit.