Limit involving a hyperbolic function

In summary: And we can use L'Hospital's Rule on the first limit in the above ...$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\cosh{ \left( x \right) }}{1} &= \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\cosh'{ \left( x \right) }}{1'} \\ &= \lim_{x \to 0} \sinh{ \left( x \right) } \\ &= \sinh{ \left( 0 \right) } \\ &= 0 \end{align*}$$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\
Yankel
Hello all,

I am trying to solve a limit:

\[\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{sinh (x)}{x}\]

I found many suggestions online, from complex numbers to Taylor approximations.

Finally I found a reasonable solution, but one move there doesn't make sense to me.

I am attaching a picture:

View attachment 9401

I have marked in blue the move I can't understand. How does the minus from the exponent goes down before the half ?

And one more thing, at the final move, I know that the limit is 1, I know it as a rule, but why is this rule apply ? Thank you !

Attachments

• sinhx.PNG
    sinhx.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 71
Physics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
Hello all,

Finally I found a reasonable solution, but one move there doesn't make sense to me.

I have marked in blue the move I can't understand. How does the minus from the exponent goes down before the half ?

And one more thing, at the final move, I know that the limit is 1, I know it as a rule, but why is this rule apply ? Thank you !
They are employing a trick that only works in this one limit. (ie. You can't do this for anything but \(\displaystyle x \to 0\). ) Since everything is nice and continuous:
\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} e^{-x} = \lim_{x \to 0} e^x\)

-Dan

Yankel said:

Hi Yankel,

It's a substitution. It's a bit confusing that they substitute with the same letter though. I recommend not doing that.
Anyway, substitute $x=-u$ and we get:
$$-\frac 12 \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{e^{-x}-1}{x} = -\frac 12 \lim_{u\to 0} \frac{e^{u}-1}{-u} = +\frac 12 \lim_{u\to 0} \frac{e^{u}-1}{u}
$$
Now replace $u$ by $x$ to get:
$$+\frac 12 \lim_{u\to 0} \frac{e^{u}-1}{u}=+\frac 12 \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{e^{x}-1}{x}$$

Yankel said:

It's L'Hôpital's rule. Both the numerator and the denominator approach 0. In such indeterminate cases we can replace both by their derivative to get:
$$\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{e^{x}-1}{x} = \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{(e^{x}-1)'}{x'} = \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{e^{x}}{1} = 1$$
Alternatively we can recognize the definition of a derivative and see:
$$\frac d{dx}(e^x)\big|_{x=0}=\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{e^{0+h}-e^0}{h-0}=\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{e^{x}-1}{x} = e^0=1$$

For the record, we could also have applied L'Hôpital's rule immediately at the beginning and get:
$$\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{\sinh(x)}{x} = \lim_{x\to 0}\frac{\sinh'(x)}{x'}= \lim_{x\to 0}\frac{\cosh(x)}{1}=\frac{\cosh(0)}1=1$$

recall the definition of a derivative at a specific value of $x=a$ in the domain of $f(x)$ ...

$\displaystyle f'(a) = \lim_{x \to a} \dfrac{f(x) - f(a)}{x-a}$

for $f(x) = e^x$ ...

$\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} \dfrac{e^x - 1}{x} = \lim_{x \to 0} \dfrac{e^x - e^0}{x-0} = \lim_{x \to 0} \dfrac{f(x) - f(0)}{x-0} = f'(0) = 1$

for $g(x) = e^{-x}$ ...

$\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} \dfrac{e^{-x} - 1}{x} = \lim_{x \to 0} \dfrac{e^{-x} - e^0}{x-0} = \lim_{x \to 0} \dfrac{g(x) - g(0)}{x-0} = g'(0) = -1$

Therefore ...

$\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{2}\bigg[ \lim_{x \to 0} \dfrac{e^x - 1}{x} - \lim_{x \to 0} \dfrac{e^{-x} - 1}{x} \bigg] = \dfrac{1}{2}[1 - (-1)] = 1$

Yankel said:
Hello all,

The most concise way in this case, since it is a $\displaystyle \frac{0}{0}$ indeterminate form, is to use L'Hospital's Rule.

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sinh{ \left( x \right) }}{x} &= \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\cosh{\left( x \right) }}{1} \\ &= \lim_{x \to 0} \cosh{ \left( x \right) } \\ &= \cosh{ \left( 0 \right) } \\ &= 1 \end{align*}$

1. What is a hyperbolic function?

A hyperbolic function is a type of mathematical function that is defined by the relationship between the exponential function and the inverse hyperbolic function. It is commonly used in calculus and other branches of mathematics to model various physical phenomena.

2. How is a limit involving a hyperbolic function different from a regular limit?

A limit involving a hyperbolic function is different from a regular limit because it involves the use of hyperbolic functions, which have different properties and behaviors compared to regular functions. The techniques used to evaluate these limits may also differ from those used for regular limits.

3. What are some common hyperbolic functions used in limits?

Some common hyperbolic functions used in limits include the hyperbolic sine (sinh), hyperbolic cosine (cosh), and hyperbolic tangent (tanh). These functions are defined by their relationship to the exponential function and have distinct properties that make them useful in evaluating limits.

4. How do you evaluate a limit involving a hyperbolic function?

The process for evaluating a limit involving a hyperbolic function is similar to evaluating a regular limit. However, it may require the use of specific properties and identities of hyperbolic functions, such as the hyperbolic addition and subtraction formulas, to simplify the expression and determine the limit.

5. What are some real-world applications of limits involving hyperbolic functions?

Limits involving hyperbolic functions have various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model the behavior of springs, pendulums, and electrical circuits. They are also used in the study of fluid dynamics and in the optimization of production processes in economics.