Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of a rational function with a square-rooted expression in numerator.

1. Jun 26, 2011 #1
    lim as x -> 0, [(x+4)1/2-2]/x

That's the limit I want to evaluate. I keep running into problems getting to the real limit (1/4).
    You don't have to give me the answer, but let me know if I'm missing something simple. Or you can just give me a hint.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2011 #2

gb7nash

Homework Helper

What have you tried so far?

4. Jun 26, 2011 #3
    So far I have tried dividing out by (x+4)1/2. This still gives me an x in the denominator that yields infinity when x->0.

I have also tried dividing out by x, but this gives me fractions in the numerator that, again, give me infiinity.

5. Jun 26, 2011 #4

gb7nash

Homework Helper

Have you learned l'hopital's rule yet?

6. Jun 26, 2011 #5
    Yea, but I was able to get the answer by just rationalizing the numerator. I'm gonna try l'Hospital now.

EDIT: I thought we only use l'Hospital's rule for lmits that are 0/0 or inf/inf.

7. Jun 26, 2011 #6

gb7nash

Homework Helper

Both methods should work. l'hopital's rule will probably be easier, but rationalizing the numerator is good practice.

8. Jun 26, 2011 #7
    But aren't we using l'Hospital's rule for indeterminate forms?

9. Jun 26, 2011 #8

gb7nash

Homework Helper

You can use l'hopital's rule for 0/0 or +-inf/inf (which in this case you get 0/0). I was just saying there's more than one way of getting the right answer.

10. Jun 26, 2011 #9
    gb7: Yea, I'm an idiot for not noticing that. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook