Limit of Complex Sums: Find $$\lim_{n\to \infty}$$

In summary, the limit of a complex sum is the value that a sequence of complex numbers approaches as the number of terms in the sum approaches infinity. To find the limit, various techniques such as the squeeze theorem, direct evaluation, or the use of known limit properties can be used. Some common properties of limits of complex sums include linearity and the squeeze theorem. The limit of a complex sum can be infinite, which can occur when the terms in the sum are increasing without bound or when the sum involves complex numbers with large magnitudes. Limits of complex sums have various applications in real-world situations, such as modeling population growth and analyzing numerical methods in scientific and engineering applications.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let ##c## be a complex number with ##|c| \neq 1##. Find $$\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{1}{n}\sum_{\ell = 1}^n \frac{\sin(e^{2\pi i \ell/n})}{1-ce^{-2\pi i \ell/n}}$$

Likes topsquark
Physics news on Phys.org
We have that:

\begin{align*}
\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n} \sum_{\ell= 1}^n \dfrac{\sin \left( e^{2 \pi i \ell / n} \right)}{1 - ce^{- 2 \pi i \ell / n}} & = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_0^{2 \pi} \dfrac{ \sin \left( e^{i \theta} \right) }{ 1 - c e^{- i \theta} } d \theta
\nonumber \\
& = \frac{1}{2 \pi i} \oint_{|z|=1} \dfrac{\sin z}{1 - c z^{-1}} \frac{dz}{z}
\nonumber \\
& = \frac{1}{2 \pi i} \oint_{|z|=1} \dfrac{\sin z}{z - c} dz
\end{align*}

Since ##\sin z## is an entire function (having no singularities at any point in the complex plane), the function

\begin{align*}
f(z) = \dfrac{\sin z}{z - c}
\end{align*}

only has a (simple) pole at ##z_0 = c##.

Therefore, if ##|c| < 1## then

\begin{align*}
\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n} \sum_{\ell= 1}^n \dfrac{\sin \left( e^{2 \pi i \ell / n} \right)}{1 - ce^{- 2 \pi i \ell / n}} & = \frac{1}{2 \pi i} \oint_{|z|=1} \dfrac{\sin z}{z - c} dz
\nonumber \\
& = \sin c .
\end{align*}

If ##|c| > 1## then

\begin{align*}
\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n} \sum_{\ell= 1}^n \dfrac{\sin \left( e^{2 \pi i \ell / n} \right)}{1 - ce^{- 2 \pi i \ell / n}} & = \frac{1}{2 \pi i} \oint_{|z|=1} \dfrac{\sin z}{z - c} dz
\nonumber \\
& = 0 .
\end{align*}

Proof that ##\sin z## is an entire function: Note

\begin{align*}
\sin (x+iy) & = \dfrac{e^{i x - y} - e^{-i x + y}}{2i}
\nonumber \\
& = \dfrac{e^{i x} - e^{-i x}}{2i} \dfrac{e^y + e^{- y}}{2} + i \dfrac{e^{i x} + e^{-i x}}{2} \dfrac{e^y - e^{- y}}{2}
\nonumber \\
& = \sin x \cosh y + i \cos x \sinh y
\nonumber \\
& =u (x,y) + i v (x,y)
\end{align*}

Note

\begin{align*}
u_x & = \cos x \cosh y ,
\nonumber \\
u_y & = \sin x \sinh y
\nonumber \\
v_x & = - \sin x \sinh y ,
\nonumber \\
v_y & = \cos x \cosh y .
\end{align*}

We read off that

\begin{align*}
u_x = v_y , \qquad v_x=- u_y
\end{align*}

for all ##x,y \in \mathbb{R}##, hence the CR conditions are satisfied for ##x,y \in \mathbb{R}##, and so the function ##\sin z## is entire.

Last edited:
Likes Office_Shredder, Euge and topsquark

1. What is the definition of a limit of complex sums?

The limit of complex sums is a mathematical concept that refers to the value that a sequence of complex numbers approaches as the number of terms in the sequence increases towards infinity.

2. How is the limit of complex sums calculated?

The limit of complex sums is typically calculated by taking the sum of all the terms in the sequence and then dividing by the number of terms in the sequence. This process is repeated as the number of terms in the sequence increases towards infinity.

3. What is the significance of the limit of complex sums in mathematics?

The limit of complex sums is an important concept in mathematics as it allows us to understand the behavior of complex sequences and determine their convergence or divergence. It is also used in various mathematical applications such as in calculus, series, and differential equations.

4. How does the limit of complex sums differ from the limit of real sums?

The main difference between the limit of complex sums and the limit of real sums is that complex sums involve complex numbers, which have both a real and imaginary component. This means that the limit of complex sums can have a real and imaginary part, while the limit of real sums can only have a real part.

5. Can the limit of complex sums have a complex value?

Yes, the limit of complex sums can have a complex value if the sequence of complex numbers being summed does not have a real limit. This means that the sequence is oscillating or spiraling towards a complex value as the number of terms increases towards infinity.