What is the solution to POTW #281 - Oct 30, 2018?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
In summary, POTW #281 is the 281st Problem of the Week in an online math competition and it is important because it challenges students to think critically and creatively, improving their problem-solving skills. The solution to POTW #281 involves finding the area of a triangle inscribed in a semicircle using basic geometric principles and trigonometry, with the final answer being 3π/8 square units. The best approach for solving POTW #281 is to read and understand the problem, draw a diagram, and apply relevant mathematical concepts and formulas. A calculator can be used to solve POTW #281, but it is important to show work and explain the thought process for full credit. Alternative methods for solving POTW #281
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Given a complex Borel measure $\mu$ on the torus $\Bbb T^1$, define the Fourier coefficients of $\mu$ by $\hat{\mu}(n) := \int_{\Bbb T} e^{-2\pi i nx}\, d\mu(x)$, $n\in \Bbb Z$. Show that if the sequence $(\hat{\mu}(n))\in \ell^1(\Bbb Z)$, then $\mu$ has a Radon-Nikyodym derivative with respect to the Lebesgue measure on $\Bbb T$.

-----

Remember to read the https://mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to https://mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week’s problem. You can read my solution below.

Define
$$F(x) = \sum_{n \in \Bbb Z} \hat{\mu}(n) e^{2\pi i n x}\quad (x\in \Bbb T)$$
Since $\sum \lvert \hat{\mu}(n)\rvert < \infty$, by the Weierstrass $M$-test it follows that $F$ is a continuous function on $\Bbb T$, and
$$\hat{F}(m) = \sum_{n = -\infty}^\infty \hat{\mu}(n) \int_{\Bbb T} e^{2\pi i (n-m)x}\, dx = \hat{\mu}(m)$$By linearity, $$\int_{\Bbb T} g(x)F(x)\, dx = \int_{\Bbb T} g(x)\, d\mu(x)$$whenver $g$ is a trigonometric polynomial. By density of trig polynomials in $C(T)$, this integral equation holds whenever $g$ is continuous. Finally, since simple functions can be uniformly approximated by continuous functions, the integral equation holds whenever $g$ is a simple function. Therefore, for all measurable subsets $A\subset \Bbb T$, $$\mu(A) = \int_{\Bbb T} 1_A(x)\, d\mu(x) = \int_{\Bbb T} 1_A(x)F(x)\, dx = \int_A F(x)\, dx$$ This shows that $\dfrac{d\mu}{dm} = F$.

1. What is POTW #281 and why is it important?

POTW #281 refers to the 281st Problem of the Week, an online math competition run by the Mathematics Association of America. These problems are important because they challenge students to think critically and creatively, and can help improve problem-solving skills.

2. What was the solution to POTW #281?

The solution to POTW #281 involves finding the area of a triangle inscribed in a semicircle. It can be solved using basic geometric principles and trigonometry, and the final answer is 3π/8 square units.

3. How do I approach solving POTW #281?

The best approach for solving POTW #281 is to carefully read and understand the problem, draw a diagram or visualize the scenario, and then apply relevant mathematical concepts and formulas to find the solution. It may also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller, manageable parts.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve POTW #281?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve POTW #281. However, it is always important to show your work and explain your thought process in order to receive full credit for the problem.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving POTW #281?

Yes, there may be alternative methods for solving POTW #281. Some students may use more advanced mathematical concepts, while others may approach the problem in a more visual or intuitive way. As long as the solution is correct and well-explained, any method can be considered valid.