Limit of function of several variable

In summary, the limit of the function x2y / 2x3-y3 as (x,y) approaches (0,0) is 0. The limit can be proven to exist using an epsilon-delta proof, but it is easier to prove that it does not exist by finding a path that yields a different limit. For example, taking the limit along the line x=y may cause trouble. Referencing examples from multivariable calculus can also be helpful in understanding and solving these types of problems.
violette

Homework Statement

lim(x,y)->(0,0) x2y / 2x3-y3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found lim f(x,0)=0 and lim f(0,y)=0.So i assume limit exists and equals 0?
I would like to get some tips on how to solve this type of problems?Do I always find f(x,0) and f(0,y)?Because I always seem to get 0 as the answer when I do that.

Thanks in advance =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Try taking the limit along the line x=y. There are more than two ways for (x,y) to approach (0,0).

hi thanks!
means I can try any ways in hope that one way will prove that limit does not exist?
how can i prove that limit exist then?
thanks =)

What is the definition of a limit of a function of several variables?

The limit of a function of several variables is the value that the function approaches as the input variables approach a specific point. It is the value that the function "approaches" or "tends to" as the input values get closer and closer to the specified point.

How is the limit of a function of several variables different from the limit of a single variable function?

The limit of a function of several variables involves multiple input variables, whereas the limit of a single variable function only involves one input variable. Additionally, in a function of several variables, the limit can approach from different directions and still have different values, while in a single variable function the limit will approach from both sides and have the same value.

How is the limit of a function of several variables calculated?

The limit of a function of several variables is calculated by taking the limit of the function as each individual input variable approaches the specified point. This involves taking multiple limits, one for each input variable, and seeing if they all approach the same value. If they do, then that value is the limit of the function.

Why is the limit of a function of several variables important in calculus?

The limit of a function of several variables is important in calculus because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of a function as the input variables change. This is particularly useful in optimization problems, where we want to find the maximum or minimum values of a function.

Can the limit of a function of several variables exist even if the function is not defined at the specified point?

Yes, the limit of a function of several variables can exist even if the function is not defined at the specified point. This is because the limit is concerned with the behavior of the function as the input variables approach the specified point, not necessarily the value of the function at that point.