Limit of infinite sequence raised to a real number power

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
issisoccer10
Messages
35
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Let {an} be a sequence with positive terms such that lim an = L > 0.

Prove lim (an)x = Lx.

Homework Equations



If x is a real number, there exists an increasing rational sequence {rn} with limit x.

A monotone sequence {an} is convergent if and only if {an} is bounded.

ax = lim arn.

The Attempt at a Solution



I know that each of the individual elements of the sequence {(an)x} converge to (an)x, but I do not know what else I can do from here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It may help to know that every convergent sequence in [itex]\mathBB{R}[/itex] contains a monotone subsequence. The power function [tex]f(x) = x^a[/tex] preserves monotonicity (although it may reverse it for negative powers). What would be a bound for such a sequence? Why would it have to be the least upper bound/greatest lower bound? What does that say about the rest of your sequence?
 
Last edited: