Limit of ln(n)/ln(n+1) as n->+infinity, very confusing

  • Thread starter Thread starter fiziksfun
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Confusing Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 9K views
fiziksfun
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
Limit of ln(n)/ln(n+1) as n-->+infinity, very confusing

can someone help me find the lim as n approaches infinity of

ln(n)/ln(n+1)

I used L'HOP so it became (1/n)/(1/n+1) -- as this approaches infinity, it's 0/0, and this confuses me. What am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


[itex]\frac{d}{dn} ln(n+1)=\frac{1}{n+1} \neq \frac{1}{n}+1[/itex]

Does that help ? ;0)
 


first, [tex]\frac{\frac{1}{n}}{\frac{1}{1+n}}=\frac{1+n}{n}=1+\frac{1}{n}[/tex] which approaches to 1, as n approaches to infinity...
second, I'm assuming n stands for integers. And L'hospitals Rule is not allowed to apply to a sequence.
 
Last edited:


l'hospital's Rule certainly is allowed to apply to a sequence! If f(x) has limit L as x goes to infinity then f(n) has limit L as n goes to infinity. This method is perfectly valid. Of course, you have to do the derivative and the algbra correctly!
 


yeah, I mean this exactly, but applying L'hospitals by brute force is not proper (derivative can be applyed to x but not to n).