1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of (3/4)^(n+1) as n approaches infinity

1. May 11, 2015 #1
    Hello,

I was just wondering how to solve this limit: Limit of (3/4)^(n+1) as n approaches infinity

My attempt:
    (3/4)^(n+1) = (3^ (n+1) ) / (4 ^ (n+1))
    Top goes to infinity and bottom goes to infinity to use l'hopital rule.
    lim = ( ln(3) * 1 * 3^(n+1) ) / ( ln(4) * 1 * 4^(n+1) )

But the correct answer is apparently 0.
    Not sure if i'm totally wrong or if I'm just halfway there.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You are not done here. Both numerator and denominator still go to infinity, and you didn't gain anything.

There are more direct approaches that work.

4. May 11, 2015 #3
    Am I overthinking this.
    Is it as simple as the denominator is larger and gets bigger faster and numerator making the whole thing = 0 for that reason?

5. May 11, 2015 #4

Mark44

Yes.
    Something like that, but the "whole thing" never equals zero. It gets arbitrarily close to zero, though.

6. May 11, 2015 #5
    OK I'll use that logic then. thx

7. May 11, 2015 #6

Mark44

If a is any number in the interval (-1, 1), then ##\lim_{n \to \infty}a^n = 0##.

BTW, please don't delete the three parts of the homework template. They are there for a reason; namely, to help you organize your problem and the work you've done.

8. May 11, 2015 #7
    I see thanks again.

9. May 11, 2015 #8
    if you write (3/4)^(n+1) as ##e^{(n+1)\ln{(\frac{3}{4})}}## maybe it will be easier to see why it goes to zero since the ln is negative & you don't need l'hopital's rule either.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted