1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of sequence proof (elementary analysis)

1. Mar 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider three sequences a(n), b(n) and s(n) such that an a(n) <= s(n) <= b(n) for all n and lim(a(n)) = lim(b(n)) = s. Prove that lim(s(n)) = s

(n) is a subscript

2. Relevant equations
    the book i am doing this problem from is elementary analysis, the theory of calculus and it defines the definition of a limit for a sequence as

|s(n) - s| < E
    so its sort of like an epsilon delta proof

3. The attempt at a solution
    i really dont know how to do this problem. i tried to do it, but was totally wrong so i was wondering if you guys could help me understand the solution. i wont post the whole thing, just the solution up to the part that i didnt understand.

book proof
    let E > 0. to prove this, we need to show s-E < s(n) < s + E for large n. since lim (a(n)) = s, there exists N(1) such that |a(n) - s| < E for n > N(1). in particular
    n > N(1) implies s - E < a(n)

this is the part that i dont get. i cant figure out |a(n) - s| < E and n > N(1) implies that. the only way that makes sense is if we said that (a(n) - s) < 0 therefore |a(n) - s| = - (a(n)-s) and then we can get what n > N(1) implies. however, if this is true, why can we assume a(n) - s < 0 or am i just misunderstanding what the thing is saying
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2012 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So the detail you're currently stuck on is to prove that if ##|a_n-s|<\varepsilon## for all ##n\geq N_1##, then ##s-\varepsilon<a_n## for all ##n\geq N_1##?

All you have to do is to note that for all real numbers x, we have x≤|x|. In particular, we have ##s-a_n\leq|s-a_n|=|a_n-s|<\varepsilon##.

By the way, if you don't want to use LaTeX, you can still type some symbols like ε,≤,→. You can find them to the right of the input field when you're typing a post. You can also use vBulletin's sub tags to get an index, like this: an. (Hit the quote button to see what I typed).

4. Mar 3, 2012 #3
    ah thank you. i didnt think of that fact. i will try to use LaTex more.

also, i just have a general question. is it normal to be awful at these kind of proofs? i was able to get all of the other proofs in the book not related to epsilon delta stuff, but for some reason i just can't figure these kinds out and i always get stuck on them (happened in my calc class and its happening when i go through this book).

5. Mar 3, 2012 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, it's normal to be awful at them, for a while at least. :smile: I think most people don't get past the "awful" stage until some time during their first analysis course, and I think most people who are good at them have taken a topology course as well.

6. Mar 3, 2012 #5
    lol that makes me feel better. i am trying to go through this book before taking analysis 1 so i dont get destroyed, but its a real pain since i dont have any proof experience.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook