Limit of sin4x/3x as x approaches 0: Squeeze Theorem

  • Thread starter Thread starter appplejack
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Theorem
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
appplejack
Messages
43
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find lim sin4x/3x
x -> 0


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I did some algebraic massaging and got

sin4/3x = 4/4 * sin4x/3x = 4/3 * sin4x/4x
but I don't understand how sin4x/4x becomes 1 like my textbook says so.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sin(4x)/(4x) isn't 1. The limit as x->0 of sin(4x)/(4x) is 1. Have you proved limit u->0 of sin(u)/u=1? Then just put 4x=u.
 
Last edited:
Dick said:
sin(4x)/(4x) isn't 1. The limit as x->0 of sin(4x)/(4x) is 1. Have you proved limit u->0 of sin(u)/u=1? Then just put 4x=u.

Yeah you're right.So, It's true that limit u->0 of sin(u)/u=1?
 
Didn't you prove limit u->0 sin(u)/u=1. I doubt they would have given you this problem if they hadn't.