1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Squeeze Theorem with limits n!/n as n approaches 0

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question asks to use the squeeze theorem to show that the limit of n!/n^n equals 0 as n approaches ∞.

2. Relevant equations
    I need to use the squeeze theorem to solve this problem, and I'm not sure what the upper limit is.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the lower limit to be 1/n^n, and I don't remember how I got here. I need some help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2
    Isn't it just n^1? Which is just n?

4. Nov 27, 2011 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can write n!/n^n as (1/n)*(2/n)*(3/n)*...*((n-1)/n)*(n/n), right? All of those factors are less than or equal to 1. How many of those factors are less than or equal to 1/2?

5. Nov 27, 2011 #4
    hmm, isn't 2/2^2 equal to 1/2? So only one of those is less than or equal to 1/2?

6. Nov 27, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, take n=6. That's 6!/6^6=(1/6)*(2/6)*(3/6)*(4/6)*(5/6)*(6/6). Isn't it? I think three of those are less than or equal to 1/2. The first three. Can you generalize? n odd is a little different, but don't worry about that right now.

7. Nov 27, 2011 #6
    okay so, for n=6. everything less than 3/6 is less than or equeal to one half? I'm not really understanding what you mean by generalize.

8. Nov 27, 2011 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Generalize means how many for n=10, n=20 etc. Now how many for a general even value of n?

9. Nov 27, 2011 #8
    So for about half of the values of n, half of them will be great than or equal to 1/2, right?

10. Nov 27, 2011 #9
    Can you show n!/(nn) ≤ (1/n) ?

11. Nov 27, 2011 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

deluks917 is right and has a much simpler approach. I was trying to get you to show n!/n^n<=(1/2)^(n/2). That works but you don't need that much unless you are trying to show the series converges. n!/n^n<1/n will do just fine. Can you say why that must be true?

12. Nov 27, 2011 #11
    that must be true, because no matter what integer n is, it will always end up as 1/n. For example, if n = 2 , then the equation would be 2/22, which is 21 / 22, and that would equal 1/21.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook