Limit of the solution of a differential equation

In summary: Here's a tutorial on basic TeX. Here's a TeX summary.In summary, the given differential equation \frac{dy}{dt} + a(t)*y = f(t) has solutions that satisfy the limit lim y(t) = 0, as long as both limits y and y' exist and a(t) is greater than zero and less than some constant c. This is because when taking the limit, the only possibilities that satisfy this relation are either the limits do not exist or they are both zero, preventing the function from oscillating. More rigorous proof and explanation may be necessary, depending on the level of rigor required.
Ressurection

Homework Statement

Given the differential equation : [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] + a(t)*y = f(t)
in which a and f are continuous functions in ℝ and verify:
a(t) > c > 0 [itex]\forall[/itex]t , lim f(t) = 0

Show that any solution of the differential equation satisfies:
lim y(t) = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was to apply the limit to the equation right away, so that would give me

lim (y') + lim(a) * lim(y) = 0

Now this means both the limits of y and y' must exist, and since a(t) > c > 0, either they are both 0 or one is positive and the other negative.

When lim y is a finite constant, then lim y' = 0, which only allows for the case of both limits being 0. (Side note: does lim y being finite imply that lim y' = 0?)

When limit y is +∞, this would require limit y' = -∞. Is this case possible?
My intuition tells me it isn't, but I'm not absolutely sure..

Also, if lim (a) = ∞, then I don't see any restriction that imposes lim y = 0, which makes me believe there may be a more simpler way to solve this problem.

Note: All limits refer to t → ∞.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the intuition goes something like this:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = -a(t)y(t) + f(t)[/tex]

OK, so [itex]a(t)>0[/itex] all the time, and [itex]\lim f(t) = 0[/itex]. So, if [itex]y(t)<0[/itex], then the derivative is positive (let's assume [itex]f[/itex] is zero for the intuition, but you're going to have to mention the fact that its limit is zero but it is not zero) and if [itex]y(t)>0[/itex] then the derivative is less than zero. So, basically, if [itex]y[/itex] is positive, it is going down, and if [itex]y[/itex] is negative, it is going up. Now, that's just the intuition, so you will have to clean it up to make it rigorous (depending on how rigorous you need to make it.) But, do you understand the general idea?

Ressurection said:

Homework Statement

Given the differential equation : [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] + a(t)*y = f(t)
in which a and f are continuous functions in ℝ and verify:
a(t) > c > 0 [itex]\forall[/itex]t , lim f(t) = 0

Show that any solution of the differential equation satisfies:
lim y(t) = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was to apply the limit to the equation right away, so that would give me

lim (y') + lim(a) * lim(y) = 0

Now this means both the limits of y and y' must exist, and since a(t) > c > 0, either they are both 0 or one is positive and the other negative.

When lim y is a finite constant, then lim y' = 0, which only allows for the case of both limits being 0. (Side note: does lim y being finite imply that lim y' = 0?)

When limit y is +∞, this would require limit y' = -∞. Is this case possible?
My intuition tells me it isn't, but I'm not absolutely sure..

Also, if lim (a) = ∞, then I don't see any restriction that imposes lim y = 0, which makes me believe there may be a more simpler way to solve this problem.

Note: All limits refer to t → ∞.
Hello Ressurection. Welcome to PF !

Consider the function [itex]\displaystyle g(t)=\frac{\sin(t^2)}{t}[/itex].

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{t\to\infty}\,g(t)=0\ .[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle g'(t)[/itex] oscillates between -2 & 2 with increasing frequency as t → ∞.

Last edited:
Robert1986 said:
I think the intuition goes something like this:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = -a(t)y(t) + f(t)[/tex]

OK, so [itex]a(t)>0[/itex] all the time, and [itex]\lim f(t) = 0[/itex]. So, if [itex]y(t)<0[/itex], then the derivative is positive (let's assume [itex]f[/itex] is zero for the intuition, but you're going to have to mention the fact that its limit is zero but it is not zero) and if [itex]y(t)>0[/itex] then the derivative is less than zero. So, basically, if [itex]y[/itex] is positive, it is going down, and if [itex]y[/itex] is negative, it is going up. Now, that's just the intuition, so you will have to clean it up to make it rigorous (depending on how rigorous you need to make it.) But, do you understand the general idea?

I think I do, because when taking the limit, the only 2 possibilities that satisfy that relation are:
- the limits do not exist (which would be the case of a sine or cosine)
- the limit is 0, which is the point that prevents the function from oscillating

SammyS said:
Hello Ressurection. Welcome tom PF !

Consider the function [itex]\displaystyle g(t)=\frac{\sin(t^2)}{t}[/itex].

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{t\to\infty}\,g(t)=0\ .[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle g'(t)[/itex] oscillates between -2 & 2 with increasing frequency as t → ∞.

That's a nice example, but taking the limit of the differential equation proves that the 2 limits must exist doesn't it? In that case, the limit of g' does not exist.

Sorry for the mess that my first post may be, I have zero experience regarding TeX

Try integrating factor.

Ressurection said:

That's a nice example, but taking the limit of the differential equation proves that the 2 limits must exist doesn't it? In that case, the limit of g' does not exist.
I believe that you are correct in that if the two limits exist and y(t) → 0, then also y'(t) → 0 .

Sorry for the mess that my first post may be, I have zero experience regarding TeX
You'll get the hang of using TeX.

What you wrote was pretty clear.

1. What is the definition of a limit of the solution of a differential equation?

The limit of the solution of a differential equation is the value that a function approaches as the independent variable approaches a given value. It represents the behavior of the function at a specific point and can help determine the behavior of the function at other nearby points.

2. How is the limit of the solution of a differential equation calculated?

The limit of the solution of a differential equation can be calculated using various methods, such as substitution, algebraic manipulation, or graphing. The exact method used will depend on the specific differential equation and the desired value of the independent variable.

3. Why is the limit of the solution of a differential equation important?

The limit of the solution of a differential equation is important because it can provide insight into the behavior of a function and help solve problems related to the function. It can also help determine the existence and uniqueness of a solution to the differential equation.

4. Are there any limitations to using limits to solve differential equations?

While limits can be a useful tool in solving differential equations, they may not always provide an accurate or complete solution. In some cases, the limit may not exist or may be difficult to determine. Additionally, there may be other methods or techniques that are more efficient or applicable to certain types of differential equations.

5. How are limits used in real-world applications of differential equations?

Limits are used in various real-world applications of differential equations, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, limits can be used to model the behavior of a system over time, predict the future behavior of a system, or determine the optimal solution to a problem. They are an essential tool in understanding and analyzing dynamic systems and processes.