1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit question limit (x->0) 1/|x|

1. Aug 29, 2010 #1
    limit (x->0) 1/|x|

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2010 #2
    the limit doesn't exist.
    lim (x-> o+) = + ∞
    lim (x-> o-) = - ∞

so limit of the function at the point zero is not existent by definition.

4. Aug 29, 2010 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Not true. The function is 1/|x| not 1/x

5. Aug 29, 2010 #4
    aah yea you're right. didn't notice the abs function there. anyway, when x approaches zero from left (and right) the function approaches +∞. so the limit is +∞.

that means for all positive deltas and M's if |x - 0| < delta, then f(x) > M. for any large M you like. intuitively you can say: the larger you want M to be, the smaller you need to take delta.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  6. Aug 30, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Which still means that there is no limit. Saying "[itex]\lim f(x)= \infty[/itex]" is just a way of saying that the limit does not exist for a particular reason.

7. Aug 30, 2010 #6
    well, I think if we're working on extended real number line then it doesn't hurt to say the limit of the function is +∞ because +∞ ∈ R*. and plus the epsilon, delta definition works fine with this example. correct me if i'm wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook