1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits/Absolute_Value/Inequalities Proof

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    Hi folks. We're working towards understanding limits in my math class and, as part of that, here's one of our exercises:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a natural number N so that absValue( (2n+3)/(4n+5)-1/2 )<.01 for all n > N

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

After some fiddling around with the absolute value, I have very good reasons to suspect that absValue( (2x+3)/(4x+5)-1/2 )<.01 for all real numbers x greater than or equal to 11.25. So, that would make N 11 assuming n is also a natural number.

By substituting 12 (the next natural number greater than N) for n in the original expression absValue( (2n+3)/(4n+5)-1/2 ), it simplifies to ~.0094 which is obviously less than .01.

It is fairly easy to show that the terms of a sequence given by (2n+3)/(4n+5) are strictly decreasing, so it makes sense then that if ( (2n+3)/(4n+5)-1/2 )<.01 then the same will be true for n+1 and n+2 and so on.

We also know that the terms of the sequence given by (2n+3)/(4n+5) are always positive.

So, at this point I know these three things:

1. When n=12, absValue( (2n+3)/(4n+5)-1/2 )<.01
    2. The sequence where the nth term is given by (2n+3)/(4n+5) is strictly decreasing
    3. The sequence where the nth term is given by (2n+3)/(4n+5) is always positive

But I don't think this is enough to prove that absValue( (2n+3)/(4n+5)-1/2 )<.01 for all n > 12

I've been thinking about using induction to prove it, but I'm not sure how to go about doing so.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could prove that if an > 0, an+1 ≤ an, and aN ≤ c for some positive integer N, then an ≤ c for all N ≥ n by induction. But that's getting pretty pedantic. If you are in a first year Calculus class learning limits I would guess you could just state it as obvious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook